Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to secure my computer while using a wireless router

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Forum
:whistling: I have just installed a wireless netgear router for home use and would like to know how to keep my computer safe and secure while using this but i am still learning how to get around my computer so please give easy instructions.Thank you :blink:

Cheyenne 09 :help:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 04 August 2006 - 03:27 PM.

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi Forum
:whistling: I have just installed a wireless netgear router for home use and would like to know how to keep my computer safe and secure while using this but i am still learning how to get around my computer so please give easy instructions.Thank you :help:

Cheyenne 09 :)

Hi forum
Iam also getting a windows box popping up just after booting which says

diable windows xp configuration manager to fully control your wg111t adapter using netgear smart wizard wireless assistant you need to deselect the windows xp wireless network configuration utilily to choose the netgear smart wizard wireless assistant click yes to proceed should I press yes or no I dont want to do anything wrong please help Thanks for your help :blink:

Cheyenne 09 :woot:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hellow cheyenne 09 and welcome to G2G,

First, I need to know if you are on XP HOME or PRO edition. Please follow these steps to find out:

Click on Start
Click on RUN
Type in: sysdm.cpl and hit OK
On the General Tab, what all does it say between System and Registered to.

Secondly, I need to know the model number of your netgear router.

It usually says it on a sticker somewhere on the unit or on the box it came in.... common models of netgear routers are as follows, for an example: WGR614, WAG302, WPNT834, FWG114P and so forth.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi spacecowboy706
Thanks for the welcome and the reply I have been a member here for a short time but have had great help with all my problems so the answer to question is netgear router model number DG8346 I think as it doesn't actually say model number on it the windows is windows xp home thanks again :whistling:

Cheyenne 09 :blink:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
To get you started we will get rid of that annoying message for you. Follw these steps:

Click on START
Click on RUN
Type in: services.msc and hit OK
In the Local Services Window Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration
Right Click on it to select Properties
Under the General tab for Startup Type change it to Automatic
Under the General tab for Service Status click the Stop button
Click the Apply and Ok button
Restart your computer and the message should now be gone... Reply back if it is not.

Now as for Security you have a few options so I will give you some links to follow that describe what they are and what they do and then you post back with what you want to do and i'll walk you through it:

WEP

WPA-PSK

MAC Filter

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi spacecowboy706
:help: Thanks for replying again your idea for the message worked great. I do have another small box that appears a dial up connection box select the service you want to connect to and then enter your username and password the options are connect setting or cancel. I dont want to risk doing anything wrong so can you tell me what to do in the settings option.. I also went and looked at the links you gave me and thier is a lot of information to take in but the second one has passphase is one my options so what I want to know as i wish make sure my family and details are as safe from hackers and any other people of that nature and as we all know if a hacker wants to get in to a system they will but I want this to make as difficult as I can and would it be safe in the future to do online banking and such. Thanks for your help again :whistling: youve been brill thanks again

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

I do have another small box that appears a dial up connection box select the service you want to connect to and then enter your username and password the options are connect setting or cancel.

On this one, we need to know what type of connection you use, ie.... Dial up, DSL, Cable ect... and then what type of IP Scheme also, ie..... Automatic DHCP, Static, PPoE ect. The first one to figure out is pretty easy just look at the back of your computer and see if there is a phone line plugged into it, or a ethernet cord (Looks like a bigger phone card). If there is an ethernet cord follow it through the router to the modem and see if there is a coax cable connected to the modem or a phone line. Reply back with what you find and we will get you corrected for that message.

i wish make sure my family and details are as safe from hackers and any other people of that nature and as we all know if a hacker wants to get in to a system they will but I want this to make as difficult as I can and would it be safe in the future to do online banking and such

You risk from hackers doesnt really come from persons accessing your wireless network while setting outside your house with another wireless laptop, but mostly from malware or viruses located on your system. But as you said and as im sure you read, there is no infinitly safe wireless transmission, but the most secure one out right now would be WPA with a Mac Address filter (what I use). To prevent Malware and Viruses from stealing your identity and financial account information you need a good firewall and antivirus program. I am no expert in the latter, so all I can do is direct you to speak with one of the Malware experts here on G2G when we get done with the wireless security part.

Post back your answer's to the first part of this post and we will then get you setup with some security.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi spacecowboy706
I have just got your answer and went and checked I have a D.S.L connection I have a grey cable which is the phone line going into the back of my router I also have ethernet cable goes from the router to the computer. (IP Scheme also, ie..... Automatic DHCP, Static, PPoE ect.) tell where to get this information from. meaning ip scheme part . I have solved this part of the problem now just the security part THanks again for all your help.. spacecowboy706 ..:whistling: :blink:

Cheyenne 09 :help:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 14 August 2006 - 07:09 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You will have to call your ISP customer service and ask what they reccomend, on the install of your internet service.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi spacecowboy706
:whistling: Thanks for your advice everything is working correctly now I need to set up the second part the security. I have Norton antivirus and firewall 2006 I also run ad-aware SE personal what else can use or get to download that will keep my computer safe online.any advice would be great. Thanks again

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Have we decided on WEP or WPA as your wireless security?

As for online security, If you are still using internet explorer as your Web Browser then you need to stop using it and start using Mozilla Firefox.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi spacecowboy706
I have decided on wap so what should i do now Thanks for your help

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Here is a link on how to set up WPA security for Netgear routers, complete with pictures, Just for you :whistling:

If something happens and it doesnt work, or you configure something wrong, just post back and let me know.