Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity on wireless laptop

• Please log in to reply

hhb

hhb

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
:whistling:

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop using Windows XP home edition, SP2. Internet comes from Comcast, with a Motorola Surfboard cable modem and a Dlink DI-524 wireless router. The router has the latest available firmware, (ver 3.2) with WPA-PSK security activated.

Last night, I got a new message: a pop-up balloon telling me Limited or No Connectivity. The laptop could not acquire an IP address. I got around it by manually assigning an IP address - however I prefer to have the system automatically acquire one. (The manual setting gets me by at home, but not at a local public hot spot.)

Is there a way to fix this problem? This happened suddenly for no apparent reason.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

try that

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
It is also worthwhile checking the IP Properties to see if it is set to Automatic or if it is set to use a specific IP Address. If it is set to a specific IP address then that could be causing the problem. Normally you can check by right clicking the network connection in Network Connections and choose Properties, TCP/IP.

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The snapfiles.com download cleared it up. This little program is definitely a keeper on my system.

My thanks to everyone who has pitched in to help out. This case can now be closed out.