Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Arrive blanc area of screen without using mouse

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, one cannot tab to the blanc area of the screen but often I want to use the contentskey and a letter (for example new folder = contentskey, w, f but I can only do that if I have aready clicked the blanc area of the screen which defeats the object of not using the mouse). How do I get around this problem then.

Edited by fleamailman, 04 August 2006 - 07:28 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
windowskey + d then contents w - f

you've got a serious avversion to the mouse....you may need counseling

Edited by dsenette, 04 August 2006 - 07:31 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as an addition here flea...for this to work..nothing can be highlighted on the desktop when you do this...BUT...since you launch most things from the keyboard..it may not be an issue

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
flea....i'm very excited about this...because your little keyboar projects always entertain me...i think i've found your holy grail (thank you wired magazine) http://www.autohotkey.com/ you can assign your own keyboard shortcuts and hotkeys you can even make it type things for you with simple letters (or expand normal internet abbreviations such as lol)
i made this text red with it
by typing my little short cuts for it

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks dsenette, I will both look at the link and forgive you for writing lots of bands in that "which band do you like" thread that I had never heard of, - hope this pleases, here is some more madness then:

Sreen properties
properties button = properties window
alt botton = close properties window

properties button, e = (not sure yet)
properties button, i = properties icon window only
properties button, i,a = set or unset auto icon arange
properties button, i,d = show or hide desktop icons
properties button, i,g = (not sure yet)
properties button, i,l = set or unset aline to grid
properties button, i,m = set icons by medified
properties button, i,n = set icons by name
properties button, i,r = desk clean up
properties button, i,s = set icons by size
properties button, i,t = set icons by type
properties button, p = (not sure yet)
properties button, r = display properties
properties button, s = (not sure yet)
properties button, w = new
Properties button, w,b = briefcase
Properties button, w,d = word doc(if installed)
properties button, w,e = close properties window
Properties button, w,f once = excel doc(if installed)
Properties button, w,f twice = folder
Properties button, w,p once = powerpoint(if installed)
Properties button, w,p twice = zip file
Properties button, w,s = shortcut
Properties button, w,t = text doc
Properties button, w,w = wav doc

Questions:
Am I correct in calling that button on the keyboard "properties button" or is it the "contents button? (The other one I called the winkey button I know for now I have called it "properties button)

Anyone know what the ones I am not sure of do?

Without using the mouse is there a way to arrive at the blanc space of the screen because one cannot tab to it?(I still haven't cracked that one)

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
If you ask me, the keyboard is an impressive tool to use. However, to use just the keyboard is counter-productive. I've adapted my style over the years to include a balanced use of both keyboard and mouse, and invested into a mouse with a few extra buttons for functionnality, and setup hotkeys with window's built in system... The mouse may be seen as a stupid and slow-you-down tool, and I agree most ppl use it too much, but dont negate its use. Over a deckade of research was put in before the first mouse was introduced, and it's considered the best invention for human interface...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
vaillant....me and flea will forgive you for not knowing our fleamailman well enough...i believe his love afair with keyboard shortcuts has gone far beyond the simple user/input device relationship... and have trancended into a whole new level of existence...flea to his own end apparently isn't doing this to make things easier per say...(i'm convinced he just likes to see me google things)... it's not an easy relationship to understand

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I see...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
dsenette understands me, and sorry for making you work on this.

A problem I face often is "winkey + m"(minimize all to taskbar) should land me of the blanc screen but in practice it doesn't always follow and if I then press the aplication key I don't always arrive at screen content options. I don't know why this is and therefore find myself looking for some more direct way to arrive at the blanc area of the screen.

An example of where it doesn't work then seems to be at the end of this action for copying someones quote here:

Ctrl + a = sellect all
Ctrl = c + copy
windows + m = all down to taskbar
properties,w,t = new text doc
write in the name of doc
press enter to confirm
Ctrl + v = paste
Alt + f4 to close
Alt + tab to choice this window to return here

Ok, I don't quite do it this way as I tend to use the run box instead, same example

Ctrl + a = sellect all
Ctrl = c + copy
windows + m = all down to taskbar
windows + r = the runbox
type: notepad
Ctrl + v = paste
Alt + f4 to close
write name of doc
press enter
Alt + tab to return to this window(or shift, windows + m)

The second example is something I use for repeated actions because the runbox with the first letter of the command(plus arrowing down) can be much quicker than either the mouse or a sequence of hotkey instuctions. However, when I then press the aplication key it doesn't respond.

So the two ways of arriving: winkey + M (minimise to taskbar) or repeating Alt + F4 (closing the windows) both get me there by default but....

Edited by fleamailman, 04 August 2006 - 01:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
flea....seriously check that prog out...and read the readme...you can set up a hotkey that will copy text...open notepad...paste the text...and save the file with whatever filename you want...i'm excited to play with this thing

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, I will come back to you about it, and thanks for it.

dsenette no need to find out on my behalf, makes me feel guilty.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no no...i tend to find it challenging keep asking the odd stuff...i research them when i'm bored