Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've accidentally deleted something and lost sound

• Please log in to reply

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Not sure what I've done but while I was having pc trouble recently I went into add/remove programs and deleted things I didn't recognise and thought were malicious. But I've managed to delete whatever it is that runs the sound on my computer. Is there anyway of retrieving it?

Advertisements

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
if you have a sound card, go to the manufacturer's website and reinstall the drivers. If you have onboard sound (more likely) find out the motherboard type and go to THAT mfg's site and reinstall the motherboard drivers. To find out the motherboard mfg, you can download an app called everest from majorgeeks.com.

When you say 'delete what runs the sound', do you mean that you don't get ANY sound other than the system beeps? Open a word document, type something, and close it. You should get a default noise that isn't a beep saying 'do you want to save this'. If you get a beep, then the fix above will work. If you get a default noise, then you have sound and your problem lies elsewhere.

v

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
The only sound I have is a beep from the computer tower when it starts up or when I get a prompt from it like the word test you said.
I got everest and I folowed the path Multimedia - Windows audio and got a blank page.
I followed the path Multimedia - PCI / Pnp Audio and got Device Description Type
Intel 82801FB ICH6 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1] PCI

Is this the correct info and can you tell me where to go next.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried system restore?

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Someone told me about system restore but I've recently had trouble with a trojan virus which this forum fixed for me and I didn't know if it would restore the bad things as well as the good. As you can probably tell I don't know much about computers. :whistling:

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
what does it say under motherboard?

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 04/11/2005-i915G-ITE8712-6A79DA1AC-17
Motherboard Name Abit IG-80/IG-81

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4267 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Direct Media Interface

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 775
Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16
RAM Slots 4 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset i915G
Extra Features SoftMenu

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name ABIT Computer Corporation
Product Information http://www.abit.com....motherboard.php
BIOS Download http://www.abit.com....pFILE_TYPE=Bios

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
here:
http://www.abit.com....KET_TYPE=LGA775

scroll down to the audio drivers and d/l and install them. Should solve the issue; if not, let us know.

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I either did somethibg wrong or it hasn't worked. I double cliocked on all the download icons on the page you linked me too and chose to run them when the prompt "Run Save Cancel" came up.

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
reboot, and you should hear the melodious tunes of the windows startup. If not, post back and we'll start over.

Advertisements

vika09

vika09

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
hey, i opened a new topic about the same sort of problem, but i know that my azmixersel.exe is not working!

i need help on this too... its part of the realtek software... so i dont know how to find out which software and stuff i need to get.

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

reboot, and you should hear the melodious tunes of the windows startup. If not, post back and we'll start over.

I'm afraid not, just the beep from the tower. I don't mean to be a pain in the you know what but you'll have to explain things in idiot-proof talk as I'm no computer whiz. But I really appreciate your time and help.

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
vika: YOu need to start your own thread in this forum, as that way people who are well versed in your exact problem could readily help you where I would have to google the answer. FWIW, I think I found it:

read post 2.

http://forum.noteboo...ead.php?t=68242

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

I'm afraid not, just the beep from the tower. I don't mean to be a pain in the you know what but you'll have to explain things in idiot-proof talk as I'm no computer whiz. But I really appreciate your time and help.

No worries, we'll keep trying until we get it right.

ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/dr...o/ac97/a384.zip

vika09

vika09

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I already did, its been 2 days since i opened a topic, no replies, only views, seeing that this topic revolves around a similar topic i posted here.

Srry

I read that post, it doesnt work. :'(

Well, its best if I just completly start over, reset to factory settings always works!

Edited by vika09, 04 August 2006 - 10:55 PM.