Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed New HD, now performance is lower then before

• Please log in to reply

NotalesS

NotalesS

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey there guys.

Heres my setup
MS windows xp Home Edition SP2
AMD Athlon XP2200+ (1.80 GHz)
1 BG ram
ASUS mother bored
GeForce video card
____________-
Newly bought HD
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
(from new egg- Link)

So when i got the drive i removed my old one and setup my new one. Poped in my XP cd and formated the drive in NTFS.( I chose regular NTFS format) When i did this the main drive letter was like "D:" or some odd letter. It coused me many probleams as i could even run progreams like Spybot S&D with out it giving me errors about disc being insruted.

After all the headachs for a whole month i decided to reformat the HD again. This time i chose to use the Quick NTFS format option. This restored the drive letter back to the defult "C:"

This is where the probleams like to start now. At first there was just random freezing. But unlike regular freezing this was different. The screen would go blank and thats it. Computer has power and everything seems find, yet theres nothing on the screen. There is also the random Restart. On one occation the computer restarted it self and the screen blinked twice with a green screen. I get a windows error when it finaly decides to boot up properly, but i wasn't able to save the error name or signiture.

Slowly its taken a little longer then usual too boot up. Not only to the login screen but also when u log in its taken longer to load up all the enviroment stuff.

Could my HD be the probleam?
Could the quick format have any affect on when is happening now?
Is there a way to test the drive to check for probleams? (note i did disk check.)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may not be your problem. Someone brought me a computer that was very slow( everything was at floppy speed it seemed) and was getting blue screens. I read a webpage on UDMA and PIO modes on the hard drive so i decided to check this computer for that. It was running in PIO mode. I could not get it to run in udma mode until i found the webpage with the fix.

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

Maybe this can help
SRX660

NotalesS

NotalesS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
wuts the difference between those modes? The article says its for Win2k

Edited by NotalesS, 05 August 2006 - 10:52 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Win XP is nothing more than win 2000 with multimedia added basically. If you look at this webpage you will see that your HD can be 5 times slower than it should be.

http://users.bigpond...educk/udma_fix/

It is just a suggestion of something to look for while trying to find out whats wrong with your computer.

SRX660

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Data LifeGuard Tools 11.2 for windows or for DOS from this link.

http://support.wdc.c...ndex.asp?swid=1

It is designed to help in the installation of IDE drives. After setting that I would reformat the drive (NOT quick) and reinstall windows.