Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Core 2 Duo

• Please log in to reply

klogg

klogg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'd love to get a new comp now, before I have to head back to school, since the Conroe is finally out and about. Even though the new chip was released July 27th (right?) I've been having trouble finding it. I found it on Zipzoomfly, for a reasonable price, but the E6700 (the one I'd like to purchase) is available at Tigerdirect, but for a whopping $600, not the listed $530 (yeah yeah $70 but that can help pay for other parts) that was floating all over the internet. I've also had trouble finding out what new mobos even support these babies. Aaaand, I can't find anything about what RAM type is best used with the new processor. If anyone could help me find out this information, I'd greatly appreciate as my time this summer is quickly coming to a close and I'd like to get on the ball with this new build. Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would just get the E6600 the 6700 difference is minimal and is acheivable with a fairly small overclock of the 6600.

Ram wise it uses and DDR2 the non extreme editions use a max of DDR800 which is pretty standard and EE versions go up to the 1066 DDR2.

Mobos any 965 or 975x intel chipset motherboard whould be compatible however you are correct in them being difficult to source. However all the big manufacturers have compatible boards out now its just a case of looking for places with availability.

Price wise the prices of $530 released for the 6700 came from the intel listing of the reccomended pricing and small order buys that will be roughly the price you will buy them from intel direct so thats the base price the stores will obviously be adding a bit more to that to cover costs and make a neat profit. If you shop arounf youll probably be able to get it a little cheaper than 600, also mobos being in short supply they arent cheap at all.

klogg

klogg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for the info. :blink: I have another question regarding the Core 2 Duo that I should've mentioned earlier but wasn't thinking: I understand it's compatible with socket 775 mobos, but are socket 775 CPU fans/heatsinks compatible as well with the new Conroe? I've looked around at CPU fans and they say they're compatible with 775 processors, but up to a certain CPU, NOT including Core 2 Duo... so I'm assuming no, but last time I assumed no with my mobo question, I was wrong. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you buy retail CPUs they come with an HSF in the box that will work it should fit any HSF from 775 because they seem to be the same dimensions as the pentiums but i may be wrong its hard to judge from pictures and i cant afford a whole new intel system to find out.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Someone asked this question before.

As long as the cpu fan is for a lga 775 socket cpu or it will say socket lga 775 supported then it will work... Many cpu fans have brackets and adapters that work with several sockets..

The Conroe processor uses the same exact socket 775 slot as earlier 775 cpu's this means that if a fan will be compatable with a pentium d Dual core Processor then it will certainly fit the Conroe which is dual core also..

Yeah, nowhere on the net is a fan specifically for the conroe so dont get worried, its the same size as a pentium D dual core cpu is..

Look for any type of Lga socket 775 fan that would be normally compatible with a Pentium D chip.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I did find 2 fans that actually say the conroe is compatable.

They are made by dynatron and I have never personally bought one but Id rather get a good company like zalman or thermaltake if you wanted an aftermarket cooler.

The stock fan that comes with the conroe cpu is sufficient aswell like warriorscot said.

http://www.newegg.co........x=0&Go.y=0

Edited by jrm20, 06 August 2006 - 06:47 PM.

klogg

klogg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for giving me a heads up on the Conroe specific fan, but I think I'll take your advice and go with a more well company who is known to make good stuff.

And about buying the retail CPU- I can't find a retail CPU online, just the OEM, and I believe that if you buy an OEM processor that means you have to purchase the heatsink and fan seperately.