Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel error - "Cannot access read-only document "

• Please log in to reply

yaohui

yaohui

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an Excel document that suddenly today won't open. I get a "Cannot access read-only document abc.xls" message when trying to open it. I then get a "cannot access abc.xls" message. I use this file almost daily (yesterday was the last day) and have never saved this file as "read-only". I do not have this file backedup and is my only copy. I has all my accounting files on it.

Other XLS files I saved yesterday load fine. Any ideas on a fix?
I've seen others with this problem, but cannot find a good solution.
I use MS Office on Mac OS10.

Your help is sooo much appreciated.

Edited by yaohui, 05 August 2006 - 08:46 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you use Microsoft Excel to save a file that you changed in some way on a Macintosh-based computer, and the program unexpectedly quits, Microsoft Excel saves the file with a temporary file name. Temporary files are placed in an invisible folder called Temporary Items in the root level of the hard disk. When Microsoft Excel unexpectedly quits, this folder becomes visible. When you restart the computer, this folder is moved to the Trash and placed in a folder called "Rescued Items from <hard disk name>." You can then drag the file back to the hard disk to recover it.

erun

erun

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have almost the same exact problem... an Excel document that suddenly today won't open. I get a "Cannot access read-only document abc.xls" message when trying to open it. I then get a "cannot access abc.xls" message. I had been using this file almost daily (yesterday was the last day) and have never saved this file as "read-only". I do not have this file backed up and is my only copy. I has a very important project on it.

The initial file was created in Excel 2007 and I ran the conversion to work in Excel 2002.

I've seen others with this problem, but cannot find a good solution.
Thank you for any help!