Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition missing, hard drive detects as wrong size

• Please log in to reply

RyokoMocha

RyokoMocha

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have problem and I humbly ask for any help anyone could give me.

A week or so ago my computer froze up, and when I restarted it it gave me an error code beep. I looked it up and it was a power supply problem code, so I swapped out a power supply from an old case (making sure the power was adequate) and voila, it started booting up.

But then I got a missing ntldr error. I wasnt about to try to fix something like that, so I decided to just reinstall windows. (2000) Everything seemd to go fine until it finished. Once it finally booted up I was missing one of my logical drives, I had 3 of them before but now I only have 2. The middle partition: (if that makes sense) the D drive out of C, D, and E, was gone. And now the physical drive detects as 40 gigs instead of 80 like it really is. (missing the amount of the lost partition)

I've gone into BIOS and tried to redetect the drive, but it says its a 40 gig drive. Ive tried switching it from primary to secondary, master to slave, but nothing helps.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I realize now that I should have backed up my data, I had several years worth of art, writing, and videos and such saved on there. I'd hate to lose it all.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
u can try Norton Partition. A program that allows you to resize hd's. you can delete the extra partition to get all of ur hd space back.