Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP locks up....

• Please log in to reply

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
A friends xp home locks up shortly after boot up. The software just freezes. I've used Ultra-X Quicktech pro diagnostics on it and it fails on the following tests:

Under keyboard controler: 'bios buffer underun error'

fails to detect SMBUS.

It passed all of the cpu, hardrive and memory tests. The above two errors are motherboard related. Should I assume that it needs a new motherboard?

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
CPU is running at 34*C. The video card passed all of it's tests. Both his and my pc use pc133, so I swapped memory. My pc runs great on his memory and his pc still locks up on my memory. It's a K7SEM AMD board. Looks like a bad motherboard to me. Any one else have an opinion on this?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I loaded fail-safe defaults in the BIOS. Still locks up.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I installed a new power supply and hardrive cable. I installed a new hardrive and tried to load my W2000. Still locked up...

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i think u gotta not suck as much