Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp wont boot, BIOS POST?

• Please log in to reply

Andre_the_seal

Andre_the_seal

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey guys....

Been havin trouble with my computer lately, was cleaning a bit of the dust out the other day, was careful to be grouded and made sure everythin was plugged in when i finished...... But now when i go to start her up all it does is keep beeping at me.

I checked the Phoenix beep codes as it is a phoenix bios chip on the motherboard, but its not beeping in a sequence like they have (eg. 1-1-2-4) but instead just beeping 15 times then stopping... and the only beep code that has 15 beeps is:

3-4-4-4 - Check virus and backup reminders

Anythin else you guys can think of that may be the problem and that i can check before i go out and buy a new motherboard and ram??

Cheers

Andre

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
try to reseat heatsink. Be very very sure it is secure they are tricky little things. If it works go out and buy Thermal Paste or Thermal Compound same thing. And apply the new paste or compound the ur heatsink and cpu. Also make sure everything is correctly connected hd psu everything.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
or check memory

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
One needs to be cautious when cleaning as you just found out. Its not too difficult to induce a static charge if using a vacuumn cleaner brush or something similar so those become no-no's. In your case, you mentioned you were having problems previously but didn't elaborate. A steady beep or a continous series of beeps both include motherboard as a potential culprit but before you run out to replace yours, lets get back to a couple of basics. Unplug your computer from the wall or whatever outlet its connected to. Pull your memory and clean it with a soft pencil eraser by wiping down, not across the contacts. Then clean it with a QTip dipped in alcohol, make sure it hets dried and then re-insert it. You can also do the same for your video card. Next, disconnect each IDE cable lead one at a time and re-insert it firmly. Sometimes oxidation will build up and this may help to provide a better contact. Check your ATX power connector at the motherboard and your 4 pin 12 V connector if you have one. Now, check all of your molex connectors. Now, you can plug it back in and try starting up again. If no go, clear CMOS. Disconnect power, open the case again, disconnect the ATX power header from the motherboard. Move the CMOS jumper from 1&2 to 2&3, wait 10-15 seconds, re-jumper 1&2, reconnect the ATX power header, plug your computer back in and try to start and tap on the delete key to get into BIOS setup. If successful, set at default and F-10 your way out.

Beep Codes Here.

Good Luck - let us know what happens.
:whistling:

Andre_the_seal

Andre_the_seal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey,

Well i tried everythin that you said to do but still the same 15 beeps then nothing.....

I even tried switchin the primary and slaves but yer still the same outcome each time....

So is there anythin else that i may be able to try or is it time to sort out a new motherboard and possibly some ram, only problem is i gotta find somethin thats compatible with everythin else i got cause its a little old and i cant be stuffed upgrading just yet...

Cheers

Andre

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
try a new Power Supply

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

you mentioned you were having problems previously but didn't elaborate

Let me ask more directly. What previous problems were you having?

Andre_the_seal

Andre_the_seal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just that i was moving some stuff around into another hard drive and then when i went into my computer it only showed one hard drive so i was muckin around changin between primary and slaves and makin sure they were both plugged in to try get em workin properly....

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You mentioned considering new memory in your very first post - why? I'd also like to know what you are using re: video card or onboard video. It would be helpful if you could give us some machine specs and component information. And, just for clarification and my understanding - you are telling us everything was running just fine and all of a sudden your machine didn't recognize one of two HDD's so you cleaned your machine and could no longer boot? I'd like to help you out, however, without any more information, you'd be better off with a box of fortune cookies.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
sounds like your Memory or Memory Slots on your motherboard are bad. My dad has a Sony Vaio and his memory is bad and all it does is a constant beep. I took out the memory of my pc and i get the 15 steady beeps. So check memory. Try to get some from and old pc or go to the store and try to get some.