Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% Newbie, converting VHS to digital format

• Please log in to reply

caiphn

caiphn

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello everyone;

Sorry for this ridiculously newbie question, a lot of tutorials and what not are over my head and I end up more confused than I did beforehand. I did try and do a little reading, but as a said ...

Anyhoo, my question 1 is this. I have a VHS tape that is older than the hills, (obviously) pretty much came out around the same time Beta machines were still found all over the place. The tape is pretty beat up and probably won't survive many more viewings. What sort of hardware do I need in order to get the data from this VHS tape? I do have a higher end video card, but I'm not sure if I need some sort of TV card or something along those lines.

Question 2, what software would I need to purchase? This is really important to me, and I'm not afraid to spend a little cash.

And finally, question 3. The video looked pretty haggard when it was 'new', is there any software I can use to clean it up a bit? Any input is welcome, and thanks a lot for taking the time to read through this.

Edited by caiphn, 06 August 2006 - 01:44 AM.

Advertisements

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry to keep this going, but I waited a month without a response. Any input appreciated, thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it just one tape?

You could look at getting a DVD Recorder with VHS player combined

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It is just one tape. That would do it I imagine, however I am looking for the most economical route possible, I would imagine such a device as a DVD Recorder with a VHS player wouldn't be cheap.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist method is with the dvd PVR for your TV which you can buy for less than $200. Beyond that you can do similar with a Hauppauge PVR card.

http://www.hauppauge.../prods_pvr.html

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815116633

Although i have a hauppauge card i still prefer the ease of recording to my DVDR from the TV.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent that bad actually with the switch from VHS to dvd they were pretty popular however many wont let you copy from one to the other format, what is the video card if it has video in functionality(would be ATI or nvidia x sumthing from ATI or at least a 6 from nvidia and mid to high end) if you have video in and a VHS player with a svideo out then you should be able to hook the VHS to the computer and the gfx card will read the new input and we can go from there, but if your hardware isnt up to that youll need a video capture card(easy to use fairly cheap) which would be the easiest for you of all solution as they often come with all the neccesary software.

Another way is to have a VHS hooked to a DVD recorder and do it the same way you would copy a VHS to a VHS. It would just be on a DVD, once on a DVD and on the computer some apps can clean up images while playing but you can get hold of software that can clean up videos might not be cheap.

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I didn't know their were VCRs with Svideo cables. It just has component cables. The videocard is a 7800GT I believe. I'm not sure if it has video in capabilities, I'm at work right now so I'll have to look at it.

So I imagine the cheapest way would be the videocard method if at all possible, or see if I can get my hands on a DVD/VCR recorder. Maybe I can rent one, it's only going to be a one time deal so ...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For one tape you could ask around to see if any one you know already has the hardware in place

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah thats what i would do most largish offices and schools will have that kind of kit.

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'll ask around. I live in a small town so that equipment wouldn't be readily available anywhere I would have access to here. Maybe someone knows someone. Thanks for all the input.