Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU temp too hot?

• Please log in to reply

vinasg

vinasg

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I upgraded my MB and CPU combo a month ago - new ECS MB withPentium4 2.6G processor. I also have a new graphics card with nVidia GPU. The CPU temp when I started was running close to 55-60 C, which I was told was too hot. I reinstalled the CPU fan (Intel fan) with new heat-glue, have a fan on the panel across from the MB (for intake), have a fan in the Power Supply (exhaust), and installed another exhaust fan on the back panel. The processor seemed to be running ok (I couldnt check the actual temp while the processor was running, I can check the temp only when booting up by going into the BIOS). I set the temp shutoff in BIOS to 60 C.
Then I loaded Spybot SD and ran a scan. This was the only program running, but twice in the middle of the scan, half way though, the CPU shut off for overheating. The only way I was able to complete the scan was to change the shut off temp to 70C in BIOS and do the scan as soon as I started the machine (not overheated already I guess).
Questions: Does this mean my CPU is running too hot? and if yes, what do I need to do? (already have 3 fas working)
Also, is there a way to check the CPU temp when the system is in the middle of some program w/o going into BIOS?
Thank you for responsing.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
vinasg:

The only way to read the temperature of your Processor, while not in the BIOS, is to have a temperature software package installed (like the Cool and Quiet software for AMD Processors) or to have a readout meter of some sort on the PCs Case itself.

If the system was truly overheating, your system would lock up and/or shut down. For now, what might be happening is that the BIOS only THINKS your processor is overheating. Software like this makes the computer shut down before you melt the processor. It's like having an airbag for your processor is all. Make sure the censor reading the temperature for the processor is mounted in the correct location. You'll have to check with the manufacturer as to where the sensor should be located, but in most cases, the sensor is located on top of the Heatsink. The censor, while monitoring the temperature of the processor, never physically touches the processor.

Try checking with the manufacturer to see where the sensor should be located for your particular hardware. Then, I'd drop my shutdown temp back to 45 or 50 degrees. 70 is a bit extreme.

Hope this helps.

Magus

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
What thermal compound did you use??? i would suggest going out and getting some artic silver 5 compound and using that on your cpu.

when you replaced teh old CPU compund did you remove the old residue??? and then replace it with fresh compund???

troppo

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Troppo: Yes I did clean the old compound completely and then put on new compound. I am not sure now what kind it was, but I know I bought the one with Silver in it.
Magus: Thanks for your response. Its an ECS , P$M800PRO-M Motherboard. The HS and CPU fan are Intel (Boxed CPU with fan). 3rd pin on the CPU fan connector on board is the sensor connector (Pin 3). As you said the sensor must be already mounted on the HS. I guess I'll have to check with Intel if that sensor is mounted wrong for some reason. I'll check on the temp sensor suggestion and see how it goes.
Thank you again.