Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Perfect' College for Graphic Designing, Web Designing, and Co

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm still going into high school, but I always aim high, and if I work hard enough and have enough motivation, I get to it no matter what. So even if it's four years away, I'd like to know what the choices I have of a great college for graphic designing. I don't care where. Just as long as it's on the east or west coast. (I live in Connecticut, so it wouldn't hurt to attent the 'perfect' college for me around that state. But the location doesn't really matter.)
Anyways.. I'm looking for a good college for graphic designing, web designing, and some other computer arts. I'd like to know my options. Name anything because I really want to make it to a good college. Once I know what I want, I take the biggest strides I can get, and I try my best at it no matter what.

So...
What are your thoughts on the options I have for my perfect college?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
some may scoff...but..i went to ITT for my computer networking stuff...and well...as long as the campus has really good teachers (which most of them do) you get a really sollid education there...of course...it's not cheap (40some-odd-K for the 2 year program) but i feel that it was worth it...as they actually applied for the job that i have now for me (got a message on my answering machine from a company i had never heard of talking about my resume)....i had a few friends in the web/graphix design program and they loved it...something to think about

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I heard that the colleges you hear in TV are horrible- both from my parents and my friends. I believe ITT Tech was on TV?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
itt tech does have commercials...and people think they are junk...but you'd be surprised...all of their instructors (except for the non technical ones) actually work in the fields that they teach (usually)...so you get experience allong with book larnin...but...the collegiate decision is always one best made through research

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

I heard that the colleges you hear in TV are horrible- both from my parents and my friends. I believe ITT Tech was on TV?

Being from the Boston area and the colleges what they are here most of them advertise on T.V (not an obscene amount ) and if you think Harvard or Boston College or BU are something to scoff at cause you saw it on T.V you will be in for an interesting ride,

My son is headed off to college in Sept. and I have a nephew who will be attending his second year, The competition to get in a school is harder then its ever been mostly due to the fact that applicants can now apply online what used to take a few hours now takes just a few minutes and the typical a few years back was most seniors in high school applying to maybe 4 or 5 schools has now turned into the teens some as many close to 20,

So with that comes the natural competition amongst the schools themselves. In today's media age you wanna be a big dog no matter how good your name is you still have to get it in front of people,

Don't rule out something because of something someone said to you look into it yourself do some home work on the school visit it, a lot of colleges have online chat rooms see if you can find them,

A lot of beer companies advertise on T.V and the beer I have is never horrible :whistling:

all of their instructors (except for the non technical ones) actually work in the fields that they teach (usually)

I would rather have someone that got their hands dirty doing it teaching me rather then someone who read about it in a book,
Nothing like real life experience to learn from

and to end

So...
What are your thoughts on the options I have for my perfect college?

It has to be something or someplace you really love or it doesn't matter

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know alot of the time(at least here) the degree is not so much about how good it is but where you got it, if you go to a good uni your much more likely to stand out from other people, i picked my uni choices based on the reputation of the uni and the quality of teaching, for me it boiled down to 3 one with a good reputation but not fantastic(St. Andrews) one with a great rep and good teaching(Edinburgh) and one with a not so fantastic rep but great teaching(Strathclyde). In the end it came down to me picking between them first out was St. Andrews because of the distance and the poorer teaching and course selection, then it came down to Edinburgh and Strathclyde, in the end i picked Edinburgh because even though it was a bit posh its a great uni and i love the city and its just something else there when you find a uni it just kinda shouts at you "Im your Uni" and Edinburgh did that for me if you look around hopefully youll find one.

Although the commercials thing is true here totally only the crappy ones advertise usually they are former colleges(here a college is below a university in rank and prestige) all the big Unis here dont advertise because they dont need to as they ones like Edinburgh, St. Andrews Cambridge and Oxford dont need to advertise because they can pretty much guarantee full courses because there are so many applicants you could fill the classes just from foreign applications on some courses.

I cant imagine being able to apply to 20 unis thats just insane must be a logistical nightmare for the unis, here we can only apply for 6 courses or universities through UCAS the uni admission service which i think is a pretty good system it ranks your qualifications by points as well so its easy enough to work out what you can get in to.