Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problems With New Processor

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello there,

I just bought a FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 adapter for my socket 370 motherboard in my "HP Vectra VL400" pc. I bought it in order to use a Tualatin 1.4Ghz processor on my pc. Without it my motherboard would only go up to 1ghz, and would'nt support the 1.4ghz Pentium 3 Tualatin processor. Anywys I installed it and all is well. Except for when I boot my pc. You see when I turn my pc on I get the following message:

Posted Image

Now I always press F1 because I don't want to ruin anything, and than windows XP boots normally (by the way xp and my bios see the cpu as a 1.4ghz even though as I said before withouth the adapter my pc would have only gone up to 1ghz). But I am a little bit sure that if I press F4 instead that this message will disappear when I boot. Because it shows up every time I boot the pc. I always get that message! I always press F1 in fear of making changes, and xp boots fine. But like I said I think F4 will take this message away everytime I turn on my pc.

I remember times when I added new ram, took out hard drives, or added them, my pc would give off a message like that at boot. Well I remember pressing F4 and it used to go away for good. I hope you can tell me what to press so this goes away. Supposedly my bios has no microcode thing for the cpu I just bought that I placed on the adapter. There is no bios from HP (my pc), that supports tualatins so upgrading my bios is'nt an option, as it would'nt help at all. I don't want to press F4 and ruin anything. But I am sure that will take it away. For now until I get a response I will continue to press F1 everytime I turn on my pc and see this message.

Please read the pic carefully and see what else it says. I previously had an 800mhz cpu in this pc. I just installed all of this today.

Thank You

Edited by superstar, 06 August 2006 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi again

The only thing I can think of that may help, is to update the bios. I noticed you have version IP.01.07 but the latest one is version IP.01.08 available from HPs website.

Please make sure you read the instructions carefully though as this can be a risky precedure

http://h20000.www2.h...swItem=vc4856en

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well well welll... Who do we have here?

Is it Samm I see?

lol. Nice to meet you again. Hope all is fine with you in the UK Samm. Well a lot has happened since we first tried to change my Vectra into a new case and make it a monster. I am happy to say that thanks to you I know almost everything about upgrading and components, etc. Wow you were quite some help to me. I will never forget it. What you taught me will be with me forever.

Update... I researched the web for 2-3 months and read numerous stories about the fact that Intel had come out with a Pentium 3 processor called a "Tualatin". It came in many different speeds, from 1.2ghz to 1.4ghz. Supposedly this processor ran faster than the first 2.0ghz Pentium 4's ever made. So as the story goes Intel stopped manufacturing the Tualatin because people were notcing that and they did'nt want to take the backlash when the P4 came out. They had invested so much money into the P4 and marketing it, that they did not want to be embarassed by a P3 Tualatin they developed. They were actually testing the technology for the P4 on the P3 Tualatin, they even put an integrated heat spreader on it. These processors are rare and still cost a pretty penny. There's a bad side to them and that is that they were made for servers used with two cpus, and limited boards that ran a single Tualatin on it's own. So in order to use one if you did'nt have a server or a limited edition board that could use a single Tualatin, you would than have to buy a socket adapter such as a Lin Lin, 370GU, Powerleap, etc. & depending on the system you had or the bios you ran, you could use the socket adapter to successfully run a Tualatin processor, even overclock it if you wanted to by changing jumper settings on the adapter.

Well I knew that you and SRX600 had told me my HP Vectra VL400 could only go up to 1ghz, but I found some cheap prices and decided to go for it. I spent about $40 and got myself a Lin Lin adapter, and a 1.4Ghz Tualatin Pentium 3 processor. I installed it on my motherboard and fired up my pc, and it worked! I'm using a Tualatin with 1.4ghz /// 512L2cache /// 133fsb /// 1.45v. What I had before was an old P3 at 800mhz /// 256L2cache /// 133fsb /// 1.7v. My bios sees the Tualatin at 1400mhz, Windows Xp sees it at 1400mhz (changes from 1400mhz to 1.39ghz ever now and than on xp's "my computer properties"), Everest recognizes it and states "512L2 Cache - Full speed on die", and Sandra sees it as well. I even benchmarked my processor using Sandra by putting it against a 1ghz, 1.2ghz, 1.6ghz, and even a 2.0ghz P4 cpu. & it beat them all in the arithmetic/floating points and multi media benchmarks. I believe there is one to test cache speed or something... I dunno I have'nt done that one. But Sandra sees it at a full 512 L2 cache speed in it's normal properties.

Now to the issue... Well you suggest that I update my bios, but I have spoken to quite a few people that know about HP bios' and they all tell me there is no such microcode for a Tualatin in any bios ever released for the HP Vectra VL400. So it would be of no use, & attempting a bios upgrade could be fatal to my system so I would'nt want to do so. According to them since there is no such microcode for a Tualatin in the Vectra bios', I would still continue to see this error message.

But the point is I have mentioned before that when I have installed new memory, cd drives, and stuff in the past I have had a similar message at boot. & when prompted I used to choose "F4" at those times, and all was better. So my question is should I press "F4" when I get that message in the picture above on my first post? Or should I keep pressing "F1" as suggested by another user who has done the same thing with his Vectra using an adapter and Tualatin?

He says he always presses "F1" every time he boots up his pc. He must not be aware that "F4" could validate the changes and take the message away for good... He does'nt seem too know much about pcs. The problem is I don't want to ruin anything in the bios or whatever and I know that "F4" can fix things when you add ram, memory, etc. But when you've just added a 1.4ghz cpu... I dunno... I just don't want to ruin anything. You tell me.

One last thing. Since the adapter went on my socket, the heatsink could not clamp onto the actual orginal socket on my motherboard. The adapter is a basically another socket, so the heatsink actually clamps onto the adapter. Knowing that the original socket on my motherboard uses "Zero Insertation Force", I still felt that if I stood my pc up vertically (after having it down like a vcr while placing the new adapter and cpu), that it would eventually fall off in my case because of the weight the heatsink has, and the fact that the heatsink does not attach to the orignal socket. So I measured the distance and width of two spaces where the plastic meets/sits on the outside of the sockets (ie: outside, not in the sockets near pins etc), and I sawed off two tiny pieces of black plastic with an exacto knife and superglueded them on in order to hold the sockets together in case force was gathered by the heatsink trying to make it fall off. Was this a wrong idea? Especially to use superglue? I was very careful and will attach pics so you can see. The plastic I sawed into two tiny pieces came from the old black shaft that pushes wind to the cpu from the psu in the old original vectra case. I figured if they used that plastic there so close to the cpu in the original case that it could stand some heat if any. I hope I have'nt created a fire hazard. lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by superstar, 07 August 2006 - 06:05 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Firstly, your friends are almost certainly right about there being no microcode update for that processor & motherboard combination. (Wasn't really thinking properly when I suggested it - should of known Vectras wouldnt support Tualatin cpus!)

I don't think pressing F4 will do any harm at all. Hopefully it will stop that error message coming up (but can't promise it). Worse case scenario - you would have to reset the bios by using the motherboard jumper/dip switch or by removing the cmos battery from the board.
(If you're not sure what I'm on about then ask before doing this!)

If the F1 message still doesnt go away after this, then try looking in the bios for a setting called 'Halt on.... No Errors' or something similar. No Errors is the value it would need to be set to. If your bios has this setting then it may prevent the message from appearing but can't guarantee it.

Re. the modifications...
Can't really see a thing from those photos - they just make my eyes go funny. From what you've said though, its not solution I would recommend for obvious reasons, however if your system seems to be working & not damaged, then you've probably got away with it. Basically, the crucial parts of the motherboard are the components (capacitors, chips etc) & the track lines which link them all together. If the only parts affected are plastic, then super glue is 'probably' ok. Can't swear to that as never tried it personally.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Yes Samm I only used super glue on two little black tabs I made and measured to the length of the original socket and adapter. They are two little black tabs less than 1 inch in size each. The reason I put them there is for added support so it holds the socket adapter and the weight of the heatsink, which may be heavy. I did not glue any components just plastic.

As for the bios issue... Well I took a chance and pressed "F4" when the boot message showed up. After I did that the system rebooted. It only shows the "microcode was not found..." message on the same exact looking screen as is on my first post above. But the "system cache error..." message is gone.

I would assume that the reason why the "system cache error..." message was there in the first place was because before I put in the 1.4Ghz 512kb L2 Cache Tualatin, I had a 800mhz 256kb L2 cache in my pc. & the fact that when I placed the new Tualatin I never validated the changes when prompted at boot. Am I right about this Samm?

As far as the "microcode was not found..." message I still get. I've spoken to another person online at a different forum who says he did the same thing with an HP Vectra VL400, a 1.4Ghz Tualatin, and a socket adapter. He claims that you will always have to see that microcode boot message and press F1 forever. The only way he can think about trying to fix that is using a modified HP bios with the microcode in it.

I'll see if I can find that "halt errors" thing in my bios.

Thanx

Edited by superstar, 08 August 2006 - 09:35 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
He's probably right about the microcode error message - it may never go away because the systems never going to recognise the tualatin correctly. This doesn't prevent it running at the correct speed however, as you know.

I would assume that the reason why the "system cache error..." message was there in the first place was because before I put in the 1.4Ghz 512kb L2 Cache Tualatin, I had a 800mhz 256kb L2 cache in my pc. & the fact that when I placed the new Tualatin I never validated the changes when prompted at boot. Am I right about this Samm?

Probably.
I decided never to question the inner most workings of an HP bios years ago. :whistling:

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
lol.

Hey Sammie how can I check to see if all of my new 1.4ghz Tualatin cpu's power is really working at full speed?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Depends what you mean by full speed. If you mean is it running at 1.4GHz at 133MHz FSB, then just use Everest or similar.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
the system cache error message at boot i got was about my cpu's L2 cache right?

Thats what I want to check. If my cpus cache is at full speed. or whatever it was that was related to that error.

Any overall proof of my cpus power would be useful.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Download cpuinfo from this link. When you run it, you'll see a 'processor cache' button on the first page - click this to see the L1 & L2 cache information

http://www.majorgeek...wnload3900.html

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
My cpu usage is jumping to 100% at times. Every now and than... Like when I defragment my hard drive. When I open a program it might go up to 88%. That's not bad is it? I mean it only reaches that high for like one second. Except when defragmenting... I think it stays at 100% on that.

Is this bad?

I checked using ALT CRTL DELETE and having the windows task manager open.

I will download that tool you told me to use to see my cache. Thanx.

Edited by superstar, 10 August 2006 - 12:45 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

My cpu usage is jumping to 100% at times. Every now and than... Like when I defragment my hard drive. When I open a program it might go up to 88%. That's not bad is it? I mean it only reaches that high for like one second. Except when defragmenting... I think it stays at 100% on that.

Is this bad?

No, thats fine. The only to worry is if the cpu usage is hitting 100% (or there abouts) whilst you're NOT doing anything