Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud PSU

• Please log in to reply

hezeus

hezeus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey all. Recently my PSU started being really loud.. it's really quiet when I'm just talking on MSN, surfing the internet etc., but when I launch a CPU heavy application or game such as WoW or Spybot, it becomes really loud. I was told by someone that it might be that my PSU is dying, but I've only had my computer since last Auguest, so I don't think that's an option. Could it be overheating? Thanks

-hezeus

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
what brand and how many watts is the PSU

hezeus

hezeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The brand is Acepower, not sure how many watts it is though (I didn't make it, family friend did).

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well after a google search i am pretty sure that acepower isn't a very reliable psu manfacturer, (not a single review on their psu's). This probably means that whoever built your system didn't spend that much $$$ on the psu... which is a huge mistake. It's not just a matter of noise (yeah if you are sure that it's the psu, than the bearings on the psu fan is porbably worn out ) it could also ruin your intire system. My suggestion is to drop around 50-70 cdn on a decent mid range psu. Antec, OCZ, thermaltake, are all pretty reliable. (I have a bias towards antec cause they are known for quiet computing.)

http://www.ncix.com/...ubminorcatid=61

hezeus

hezeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay.. So just to test, I took the PSU out of my friend's PC (OCZ 600W), but there was still no change in noise, so I've concluded that it's the fan in the back of my PC. Should I put in a second fan? It will go from loud, to medium, to loud, to quiet, etc.. pretty random. Thanks

-hezeus

btw. sorry for replying so late.. I was on holiday for a week.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
i highly doubt a case fan can go from loud to quiet to loud, unless it is connected by a 3 pin to the mobo and changes speed accordingly when the temperature inside the case changes. Download speed fan and see if it is changing speed when u run more intense programs. CPU fans can get prettly loud too so maybe isolating the source of the noise will prevent you from wasting money on fans. My favorite case fans are made by Antec, the antec Tricool which comes with a switch for Hi (noisy cause of the huge amount of air it moves) Med(silent) Lo(you won't know it's on)

hezeus

hezeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok.. so I checked SpeedFan and it said that my CPU was at 53 degrees C. Pretty hot. My internal temp was 48C. Still pretty hot. It also says Fan1 is spinning at 2151RPM. Not sure if that's bad or not. What do you suggest I do? Thanks.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
48 your internal temperature is 48?That's way too hot, unless u live in neveda, nvm u live in canada so 48 is way too hot. My case temp never goes beyond 35 and that's when the room is boiling hot. hmm i suggest 2 120mm tricool fans one for the front of the case one for the back, your current fan is probably dying. 2151 is a pretty normal rpm for a case fan.

hezeus

hezeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Awesome.. Thanks alot Gladiator :whistling:

-hezeus

hezeus

hezeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay.. so before I waste my money buying fans I don't need, I just want to make sure of something. I currently have 2 fans in my case, not sure If I can fit any others. The back one is 120mm, and the front is 80mm. Now I know that I can take them both out to replace them, but I just want to make sure that I do need those fans. When I open Speedfan, it says Fan1 is going about 2100RPM, Fan3 is about 800, and Fan4 is about 800. Fan2 doesn't show anything (I guess that's because I don't have a fan connected there). I'm also not sure whether a 120mm fan would fit in the front of my case. Also, do I really need new fans if I have those already? Or could it be that they're just dying and not performing as well as they used to. It seems that maybe the bearings are wearing so that could be why it's so loud. I took off the side of my case today and the temperature decreased 5-10 degrees. Maybe there's not enough ventalation in my case? I don't even know at this point :whistling:

-hezeus

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmmm.. 800 rpm? that's low very low even for a 120mm it dropped 5-10 degrees when you opened your case, which is a good sign but still kinda hot. Where do you live? Wait, i think the 2100 rpm is your cpu fan, and the 800's are your case fans, at 800 they certainly should not be noisy. is there a quiet fan option in your bios that you can disable? can you post a scr shot of the speed fan? i just wanna make sure which fan is which.

hezeus

hezeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay.. so I took 2 photos. One was when it was Idle for about 20 minutes, and one when World of Warcraft was open. Here they are:

Speedfan

Speedfan Idle

Thanks!

-hezeus

edit: Okay fixed the pictures. They should be fine now. I also found out that when I minimize the game, the CPU's temperature decreases 3-4 degrees. Is that supposed to happen?

Edited by hezeus, 17 August 2006 - 09:32 AM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
your internal temps are definitely too high. i believe that the fans inside ur case are arranged inccorrectly creating a vaccuum so not enough fresh air is getting into the case. 49 is way too hot for the mobo temp try opening up the case and putting a big fan right beside it and see if that cools down any of the part. or maybe you jus have some very hot parts. And yeah when u minimize the game it takes the load off the cpu hence decreasing the temp. Fan 3 and 4 are spinning at very low rpms.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
You might want to take some time and tidy up the wiring inside your case. Bad wiring can really impede airflow. Also, blow all of the dust out of your fans and case with compressed air.