Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Technologies RAGE 2X Graphics Card Issue... Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

Tim Jacobs

Tim Jacobs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a computer that was made for Windows 98. It has a Pentium III 501mhz processor with 256megs of RAM. The graphics card is the original one that was made with the computer. I recently upgraded the computer to Windows XP and reinstalled and the drivers. Now the graphics card says there are not enough resources for it to run. What could be the problem. It worked before. I can't play any games!! Any help would be appreciated! :whistling:
~Timothy Jacobs
Taylor, MI

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome! :whistling:

256 MB RAM is near the bottom of what XP will run on. 512+ would be much better. To free system resources (besides getting more RAM, which I recommend if possible) try configuring which software runs at startup. I prefer to do this within the software itself if possible (varies between programs, but the help menus should explain). Otherwise, you can go to Start | Run and type msconfig and navigate to the "Startup" tab. You could either look them up on the Internet (ex. here) to see if they are necessary (or wanted) to start with your computer.

Tim Jacobs

Tim Jacobs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The old computer I had before it died had 356mb of RAM. My other computer was preinstalled and made with windows XP and only has 128mgs of RAM. When I installed Windows xp it said I need at least 64megs. I'll give those other things a try tho. BTW - I don't know if I can even add more RAM if nessisary because there are no more RAM slots available. There are only 2. I don't know what the maximum amount of RAM my processor will accept. I mean if I need to and can upgrade, do RAM cards come in more than 128mb each? If so, are they affordable? Thanks!

Edited by Tim Jacobs, 07 August 2006 - 12:06 PM.