Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ping

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
i was playing an online game, and suddenly i got kicked off the server...

it said that my ping was too high, this happened about 5 times.

what is ping and how can i stop this from hapening?

Edited by voa, 07 August 2006 - 09:36 AM.

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Ping: Packet Internet Groper. A utility that forwards data packets to check the quality of a link or verify the connection of a machine to the Internet.
(Source)

Higher ping means that it takes more time for a data packet to return to your computer. High ping is usually caused by the use of bandwidth by different downloading softwares and etc. A slow computer may also cause pings to be high.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
ok thanks.. so how can i lower it?

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Exit any programs that may be using your connection and any other programs that might be slowing down your computer. In addition, if you are a part of a LAN, it could be that others are using a part of your bandwidth. If the probelm is a slow computer, you will need the upgrade. In addition, high ping could be related to low bandwidth or a problem with your ISP, you can check this with you ISP. Another thing that may cause high ping is the location of the servers, if the they are out of the country. To solve this, you might want to try other servers.

I hope that some of this will help.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Ok, thankyou

i found that my brother was downloading music on his computer which uses the same conection, that may be what was slowing it down. Also i had nothing else running on my machine. I will try again when my brother isnt downloading.

Thanks again

:whistling:

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I hope it does help and you are welcome anyway ;-).