Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I access a partition that doesn't have a drive letter assi

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have a 60 gig harddrive. Partition 1 is FAT32, about 4 gigs in size, and contains the "restore data" that came with the new laptop I bought. Partition 2 is NTFS, about 56 gigs, and contains my primary operating system and all other data.

I can see the first partition with "disc managament" under "computer management." however, I can't access it in anyway--i believe because it doesn't have a drive letter assigned to it. "Disc Management" doesn't give me the option to assign it a drive letter. Is there anyway I can access the contents of this partition in Windows without having to format it or lose any of the data?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you cannot access it because it's "protected" and marked as inactive...some companies even make the recovery partitions invisible (really bad idea as then you don't know it's there when you format your drive) is there a specific reason you want to access it ?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Mainly, I'd just like to burn the recovery data to a CD and reclaim the extra partition as hard drive space. (it's only taking up about 600 megs of the 4 gigs it has set aside).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...you could try imaging the entire drive with something lke acronis true image...of course...when you restore the computer it would put that partition back

not sure if it would work but you could try the UBCD4WIN...you may be able to burn that data off that way (have had very few partitions able to hide from me with that particular tool)