Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MBR

• Please log in to reply

jjfto

jjfto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had two os's installed. os1 and os2. i removed os1 but kept os2. now when the computer starts i have to select the os i want to boot its the windows loader.
how can i remove os1 from the mbr and jst have a system that boots up normaly like a single os system?

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Open the "boot.ini" file. You'll see reference there to both of your OS's. Remove the line refrencing the OS you don't want to use. Save the file and reboot. If the "boot.ini" file only references one OS, it will run that OS without the promt screen you have been getting.

Be sure you backup any important data files and create a restore point before making such changes.

Also, it would be helpful to know which operating systems you are refrencing. You can put yourself in a bind if you disable a newer OS that has a different file system than the older OS.

Let us know what you find out. If you think both OS's are on the same file system, try the "boot.ini" trick.

Hope this helps. Please let us know.

Thanks,