Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Internet is Screwy... help!

• Please log in to reply

shifty287

shifty287

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer connected and functioned on the internet perfectly fine until, slowly, it quit functioning as I would like it to. Basically, certain functions, like Windows Media Player clips on websites, and some of my games (Warcraft III, for example) have completley stopped working on the internet. Others have been cripppled, such as Call of Duty (even though it shows my ping to be relatively low, the delay between my gun firing and the bullet hitting a wall or person is rediculously long.) I've checked the firewalls and manually opened ports specified at technical support websites for certain games. I've checked any internet filtering programs on my computer, tried running games and working different things with them disabled. Nothing works.

My computer is hooked up to the internet through a router, shared with 2 other computers in my home. The other 2 computers have no such problems. My cousin brought his computer over for a while, hooked it up to my internet, and became severely disgruntled as he played Call of Duty on my computer and experienced the horrible shot delay (causing him to lose miserably) while I played on his computer and experienced no such delay. This rules out the possiblity of it being a router, modem or service problem. It has to do with my computer.

To me, it feels like my internet is being filtered, and certain things being blocked, but I can't figure out what it is. Please help :whistling:

Edited by shifty287, 07 August 2006 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Your compuer may be having some problems with malware. Background programs can sap your network connection without you even noticing.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Run a speed test.
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
Johanna