Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Ultimate

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,
Yesturday I installed a beta version of Windows Vista on my computer. I've had a few minor problems since.

Fisrt problem: I have no sound on my computer anymore. In my device manager it indicates that Vista can not recognize any drivers for my sound card, and i'm not sure what kind of sound card i have, making it hard for me to install drivers manually. Can anyone help?

Second problem: For some reason my Dvd burner no long works, and by this i mean it doesnt open/close/do anything. Its dead! When i first installed Vista it was opening/closing fine and had life to it, but out of nowhere it died, and i have a cd inside that i'm unable to retreive. Is this an issue with Vista?

Third problem: I am unable to set my user account to Administrator so that i dont get those annoying windows that pop up and let me that i need permission to certain apps on my computer. Everytime i try and change my account type to Administrator, it always reset immediately to Standard User. Any suggestions??

If anyone can help me resolve these issues that would be great!
:whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Fisrt problem: I have no sound on my computer anymore. In my device manager it indicates that Vista can not recognize any drivers for my sound card, and i'm not sure what kind of sound card i have, making it hard for me to install drivers manually. Can anyone help?

you could try using the "microsoft update" button (i think it's in the start menu of vista) to see if microsoft has the drivers you need for this...

Second problem: For some reason my Dvd burner no long works, and by this i mean it doesnt open/close/do anything. Its dead! When i first installed Vista it was opening/closing fine and had life to it, but out of nowhere it died, and i have a cd inside that i'm unable to retreive. Is this an issue with Vista?

could also be a driver issue or firmware issue related to vista....to get the cd that's stuck out...flaten out a paperclip and stick it in the little hole in the front of the drive...then push firmly but gently...the drive should pop open....you may need to see if windows update has drivers for this drive too

don't know on #3 sorry

did you install vista as a standalone os or did you dual boot it or what?