Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Activating Windows

• Please log in to reply

dizzyw/eternity

dizzyw/eternity

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Its so weird. I have one day left to activate windows and the first number the comuter gives me isn't recognized so I press get a different number, I attempt to enter my p/n which starts with PF1...and the one key won't work. I can't figure it out? Works fine here 1111111111111 ...see? Any suggestions. I even called the 800 number they just told me too bad soo sad you have to contact the mfg. Umm...I'd really rather not. HELP

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should go like this:

Click activate windows, click telephone, enter the number into the phone, select the option to speak with them, enter the code they give you, activate windows

dizzyw/eternity

dizzyw/eternity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, it should go like that! however, this cd i used to start windows isn't mine (might have something to do with it) its my parents. My computer crashed and my disc was corrupted from being so old. The lady w/microsoft told me to hit get a new number, I did and as i explained the 1 button doesn't work. I tried it on my own again today????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which product key did you use, yours or the disc's

dizzyw/eternity

dizzyw/eternity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I used the number that came up on the computer when it says do you want to activate windows i said yes by phone and then it gives you a number in which by means of the automated system tells me too bad return the product. Then last night i got an operator who told me to put in the p/n on my computer in which i attempted to do so but the one doesn't work. I just called them again and they couldn't even start to help me. He said their having technical difficulties and to call back in a half hour. Nice Microsoft is having tech difficulties. That happened last night with the lady too; she put me on hold for like 30 minutes do to technical difficulties.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you installed, did you use your computer product key, or the one for the disc you borrowed

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you would answer the question that Keith asked you twice, we might be able to help.
Johanna

dizzyw/eternity

dizzyw/eternity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
W O W !!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know the answer to that. I answered the question to the best of my ability. Believe me...if I knew I would say so ...johanna: nice manners!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you installed using your product key, you are OK, if you didn't you are not

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I wasn't trying to be rude, but the answer you are seeking depends on the answer to the question Keith asked in post #4 & #6. I'm guessing this is a laptop and you don't have a number pad on the side? If you used the product key that went with the new cd instead of your legal one, you are out of luck. It isn't going to work even if you do get your one working, which you don't seem too concerned about.
Johanna

Advertisements

dizzyw/eternity

dizzyw/eternity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am concerned because I only have an hour left to activate windows and then ..??? I'm sure I didn't use my p/n went I set up the disc/program initially because I didn't know it existed until yesterday (the pn) I had been with out a computer for so long i was just happy it was running. Any suggestions on what i might do now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got your disc, this seems to be the only proof you have a license as the borrowed CD key would have overwritten yours on the PC

Did you repair install or format and clean install

dizzyw/eternity

dizzyw/eternity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I guess format and reinstall. It was wiped clean!! I was on hold last night for over two hours and even gave compaq $45 bucks but they couldn't even help me after being on hold that long. I think a new key number is like 100 bucks. ?? If I dish out an additional 100 bucks how can I uninstall the crud on my computer so I can start fresh? It won't even let me log in (without activating windows which i can't do) :whistling:

dizzyw/eternity

dizzyw/eternity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:whistling: Please...help me

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have your disc, no matter the condition, it is your proof of purchase, Microsoft replace missing and damaged software, the best thing is to speak with them

Tell them you were told you could use any same version XP CD to install, the bit you got wrong was entering the borrowed disc key and not yours