Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

Grahamp79

Grahamp79

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I tried to do a CPU search on the forums but the search engine wouldn't let me. (Said was too short) Anyways my computer performance has not been great I am trying to narrow down what the problem is. I run a stock charting program and my CPU usage will be at 4-7%. Then all of the sudden it will spike up to 25 or 33 or even 100. I am not sure how to even begin trying to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

LT.JG_Pliskin

LT.JG_Pliskin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Grahamp. I've had some of my buddies end up with the same issues. Can't say the same for myself, but that didn't stop me from trying some things out. Try this:

1) Click start, then right click on My Computer, then hit properties.
2) Click on the Advanced tab.
3) Under where it says Performance, (at the top), click settings.
4) Click the Advanced tab.
5) At the bottom where it says Virtual Memory, click Change.
6) Change the Virtual Memory to custom, and you may want to increase those numbers. For example mine is set to: initial - 3070 and maximum - 64930. It all depends on how much free hard drive space you have. You can also refer to the "Total paging file size for all drives" recommended amount for initial size. Then click okay and restart your pc.

Hope that helps.