Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing During and After Startup

• Please log in to reply

carimwc

carimwc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer just started freezing up randomly Monday night. We haven't installed anything new and I ran Adaware on Monday night after it froze and nothing was detected. Regular scans don't seem to show a virus. It got worse last night after running fine all day Tuesday.

The computer will often get through start up but will freeze at some point after, usually when we try to click on anything. Right clicking will freeze it instantly. It froze at the beginning of startup a few times also.
We've tried safe mode and it freezes there at times. I think it's the Windows Updater that is the problem, but I'm having problems turning that off as I can't do anything- the computer just freezes.

We have an HP Pavillion that didn't come with a recovery CD and we seem to have lost the one that we made. I know there's a recovery console but I'm wary of using it as I don't want to lose our data. How can we back up our date when it freezes? Will the recovery console help keep our data?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements