Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

GKeeper959

GKeeper959

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey, everyone, I'm back.

I'm working on a friend's computer. It's a Dell Inspiron (I know, I know...) 8200 with Windows XP sp2. On boot up, XP tries to load, then gives the blue screen of death reading: "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". It does this when trying to boot in normal mode, safe mode, and last known good configuration.

What I've seen out there is that I should make a boot disk and run chkdsk. I've made a boot disk and when I insert it and boot up, it just gives me a command prompt >A:\. That doesn't so much help me because I don't know what to do from there. I made another disk from ntfs.com because I'm pretty certain it's an NTFS computer and I've heard that FAT32 boot disks can't read NTFS partitions. Using that disks opens a program called Active NTFS Reader which is designed to "read and copy files from safe NTFS volumes" and "recover damaged/deleted partitions" among other things, but I have no idea how to work this program, nor if it's even what I want.

I'd like to run chkdsk and see what happens, but I can't quite figure out what I need to do to be able to get to that point. Will chkdsk fix problems or just find them and tell me about them? I can troubleshoot Windows ok, but when it comes to DOS, I'm pretty illiterate. Anyone out there who can help me decipher this stuff, maybe give me a crash course in navigating DOS?

Thanks so much, everyone :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, your instincts are correct--a win98 boot disk won't help if you had a ntfs formatted system.

Easy way to tell is at a:\> type C: and hit enter

If you get an error, you've probably got NTFS

THE NTFS reader lacks the tools you need.

If you've got the Windows XP disk, you can use the REPAIR USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE to run chkdsk.

at the prompt, type

chkdsk /f /r

Prepare to wait for a while. It will take a long time

GKeeper959

GKeeper959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ahh, I should have mentioned... my friend has lost his recovery disk :tazz: That's why I'm trying the boot-up disk method. And yes, if I try to access the C drive in the command prompt, I get an error. But I really want to try this recovery method, I just need a disk. Do you have any idea if a recovery disk from a Dell Latitude will work for an Inspiron?

Thanks. ;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
only way to know is to try.

Dell changes their recovery disks from time to time....at one time, they were a full windows xp disk with some minor modifications...others are disk images..

Here is another method...

Since you obviously have a second pc. you may be able to build a Barts PE disk, which will allow you to boot windows XP from a CD. It will be a limited version of XP, but it will be more comfortable than farting in DOS

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

GKeeper959

GKeeper959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Gerry, thank you so much for the advice of building a Bart's PE! It did the trick! I was able to get the notebook booted up and run chkdsk, which fixed the problem! My small troubleshooting arsenal is expanding all the time!

Thanks again! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Barts PE disk rules

GKeeper959

GKeeper959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts