Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black graphics/lockup

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
As always with my summer hobbie with two teenage boys, putting PCs together from scraps and encountering problem. Let's deal with just one of last three. 1. Bought PC Chips 811 mobo with sound, lan, vid. Flashed BIOS as we always do. Note on their home page, besure to scrounge the one for suo,lan,vid, as first flash lost lan but got it back with correct one. Their latest BIOS specs claims the board will run Athlon 2600+ 266 BUS thus requireing CPU part number ending with DKV3C to have 266BUS rather than higher popular CPU specs. 2. Started with 1.333Ghz on hand but would only keep ruuning after BIOS setting by useing 10x100 FSB otherwise monitor goes black when you select exit BIOS and save setting, (could not use the 133 FSB) changed from on board graphics to ATI RAGE Xpert 128 and you can stay with 133FSB and have graphics BUT after POST it locks before going into windows. Played with all BIOS settings (pretty limited there, most auto for cache and no latency) can't get in XP PRO logo, just hangs with drives recognized and displayed and word "wait". 3.Tried two (2) different Athlon 2400+ ending w/ part number DKV3C as the PC Chip's site says they can run 266FSB, and I get NO GRAPHICS AT ALL, cannot do BIOS (lights come on PC indicating activity) NO beeps whatsoever.
Completly unable to use the Athlon 2400+ (which is tad below max listed as useable). With added graphics the 1.333Ghz maintains graphics after POST and always restarts with graphics at CPU speed of 1.333Ghz but has never gone to operating system. 4. I installed the OS by leaveing it in 10 x 100. Tried reinstall/repair while in 10 x 133 (what the CPU is rated) and it locks several minutes in during blue screen saying windows is installing. Peculiar, this same CPU locked here awhile back when building a GATEWAY. Yet it works at 1.0Ghz all the way. Non of the 2400+ will let me see boot from CD. Well that's pretty much the jist of the FLUSTRATION, WILL YOU ALL PLEASE GIVE SOME SUGGESTIONS! THANK YOU! K

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
With the frustration i have had with PC Chips boards i never touch them anymore. i do not know if it is just the coding in the bios they do or just that they build the cheapest boards possible but they have never seemed to be stable at all when nearing the limit of what the board can use in hardware. I really don't see where you will notice that much difference between the 100 mhz bus and the 133 bus. I would settle for the 100 bus speed and see if you can even install windows. The board may be so unstable you might not even get there.

SRX660

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I have only been able to install windows at 10x100 even though the CPU is a 1.333. At 1.333 it stops during POST if booting to HD and when booting to CD at "windows is installing" blue screen during install/repair. I can not even get graphics with my Athlon 2400+ (which are correct FSB 266) I know they should really run at 133. Something in the mobo must be IDing the multplier so they will NEVER show graphics to be able to underclock them. Tried default settings several times also setting BIOS with small CPU in, then installing 2400 to no avail. You must be right about these boards. I've not had good luck with boards this summer, I've had to pitch several. Was having better luck with older slot 1 boards and using "powerleaps" to use 370 1.4Ghz then overclocking to 1.678Ghz, they are stable but these newer ones with Athlon haven't been able to come close. PLEASE, anymore input is greatly appreciated. :whistling: :blink: :help:
P.S. Just bought another three 462 socket A mobos all different brands, so may be starting over AGAIN! Gotta find a way to use up these CPUs then move up another generation. Everybody's help is ALWAYS greatly APPRECIATED!!! Any comments PLEASE!

Edited by crunch, 10 August 2006 - 10:41 AM.