Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

annoying wizard on startup

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
my laptop has this program installed by the manufacturer that automatically scans the hardware and drivers and provides the best possible driver update [i use it cuz its effective and makes life a lil easier]. so recently the built-in bluetooth radio was updated [successfully] and since then a 'Found New Hardware' wizard appears on startup saying that it requires drivers for a 'Bluetooth Serial Port' and if i click on next [where it starts lookin for drivers] it jus keeps on going n going but never finds nything and if i click on cancel or sumthin nothin happens as though it were not responding but when i check task manager it says that its normal. so while doing some investigation i found this: an entry in MSCONFIG that is related to the bluetooth thingy and it appears in the 'Startup' tab! i was thinkin of unchecking it but when i saw the word rundll32 i got nervous n thought i better ask here before proceeding. here's a screenshot:

bt.JPG

can someone tell me wat i shud do with it? i jus don want that darn wizard to appear nymore.
thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unticking that shouldn't cause an issue except that the service won't work anymore (rundll is just the function for loading dll's as services)
after disabeling it you may try manually attempting to find the driver that it's looking for

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

unticking that shouldn't cause an issue except that the service won't work anymore (rundll is just the function for loading dll's as services)

so is that a good thing or a bad thing?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if you untick it and it causes issues...you can just go back and tick it...the service that it's starting doesn't seem to be something that should cause issues but...

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
actually i am scared cuz wat if my laptop doesnt start-up. it's got a lot of my dad's files from the office as i ask him not to use the desktop - i am constantly tweakin it so its safer [and wiser] not to save important files there. plus it uses windows xp, which i think isnt as good and durable and stable as win2000pro [on my desktop] so the idea freaks me that i might not be able to fix it if there r ny probs........

Edited by badben25, 10 August 2006 - 09:37 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if you untick that in startup and you can no longer start in regular mode you should be able to start in safe mode and retick it as if you start in safe mode those things won't (shouldnt) load up anyway...you should be able to disable that one without issue and if there is an issue you should be able to get back into safe mode and fix it

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
well, i'll try it out n let u know soon.

thanks for all the help

P.S. monkeys arent that dumb after all! [no offense intended]