Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RECENTLY BEEN RAM RAIDED NEED SECURITY HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
My father owns a shop which currently has 4 cameras protecting it, my family and I (I am 17 finished GCSES, tried A levels found it too hard and took a year off and now am starting again in September- note this information is critical for you o understand that I cannot be there 24/7 to check footage etc so the software as said below must be easy to use for my parents) we live above the shop.

Recently we were victims of a ram raid in which nothing was taken because when they rammed into the front of the shop the door did not give way enough plus I was up and watching them by then and I had contacted the police and gave them a description after which a pursuit followed by their arrest. We are also victims of petty theft therefore to increase security I would like to install a further 4-6 cameras around the property.
Now I have profound knowledge of building computers etc as I am a gamer and love customising my custom built computer.

However I have no idea about those PCI video capture cards specifically for attaching cameras to. I would like to know-
1) I found some which say up to 8 cameras 50 FPS, firstly is that much FPS sufficient for 24 hour monitoring of the premises?

2) Secondly let’s say that it is cheaper to install 2 ‘8 camera cards’ is that possible because obviously you cannot use 2 incompatible graphics cards; do the same rules apply here?

3) Does anyone know of any good websites which sell good capture video cards specifically designed for cctv ( I don’t know what they are called) at good prices because I have looked some up but the pricing is ridiculous and DABS do some about 3 cards but they do not meet my requirements.

4) Is the software usually bundled? The software must be easy to use as my parents have very very little knowledge on computers (they can get to the point of turning one on and playing solitaire (even opening solitaire has to be done by myself!!) and the software must be able to quickly convert the recorded footage for backup onto a DVD.

5) Is there a range of suitable software for these cards as there are for example photo editing programs?

Onto the cameras themselves- must be full colour – zooming in would be ideal I mean after the footage has been captured a number plate or a persons face must be zoomable at high quality levels, currently the cameras we have which are apparently Sony although they have no labels to say they are… are attached to a rather crappy DVR unit thingy and the professional company that set it up charged £3000!!!
Must be night viewable. At the moment these cameras at night cannot even read the number plate off a car even with IR (Infra Red) and 2 150W flood lights!

Ideally I would like the type of cameras they use in Tesco’s where they can zoom in a lot being able to view a persons spot and they must cope well at night. They must be weather proof. Now what with the recent jump to HD being mind bogglingly confusing especially when it comes to computers + security as well as expensive I do not want any HD hardware nor cameras to keep the total cost down.

Also we are building a restaurant so that will require security as well.
I have planned on building a computer to the following spec (its rough as I have yet to decide the actual components)
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego
2 or 1 GB RAM

any socket 939 AMD supporting mobo (yet to decide) which can handle 1TB of hard drives (can any mobo support 1 TB upwards of hard drives?) Will most probably be a mobo with only AGP because I am pretty sure that recording footage does not require much if not at all any graphical power, and the only reason I am not going with integrated graphics is the performance hit and I need video in out.
Recently
700-1TB hard drive/s
DVD writer
480W PSU
Any case
Any graphics card with tv in out

2 of these will have to be built one for the shop and one for the restaurant so as you can see costs are to be kept in mind however for the 2 systems I have a budget limit of about £3000 not including cameras.

Budget for cameras is roughly £2000-3000.
One of these computers will become the primary use for my sister as she is currently having to cope with a dell Celeron 564Mhz!! She uses it for internet and Microsoft word not at all demanding however to be on the safe side go for 64bit especially as this is RAW footage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Someone please help for goodness sake; maybe you can Samm like last time? PLEASE

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
You will need some patience. you have provided a lot of information and have a specialized need. It's going to take us a bit to parse the information and do some research in order to provide you with some quality assitance.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.apc.com/p...ndex.cfm?id=346 as a possible over kill sollution you could check these out....they're network camera's that work over ethernet...so you'd have a camera server and what not and if setup correctly could check the footage from anywhere...not the cheapest sollution but..would work

you also need to learn a little patience PLEASE...we're all vollunteers and actually do have jobs and other things to do...this problem MAY in fact be the biggest issue in YOUR life...but that doesn't make it the biggest issue in ours...we try to help as much and as efficiently as we can...but sometimes we just can't get to you

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok sorry and no this is not the most important thing for me however it is for my dad.
For me it would be getting back to A levels and gaming!! Thanks moderators look forward to your replies.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.tigerdire....asp?CatId=1322 another listing of ip based cameras

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ermm think it might be worth mentioning that I live in the UK.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
One of my main problems is this: I have decided to buy Pentium 4 LGA 775 3.0 however I need a cheap mobo that will support 1TB of hard drive. Any mobos that meet that?

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
For example will this mobo support 1TB? Asus P5GPL-X?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
That system board should not have any problems support large hard drives.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Ermm think it might be worth mentioning that I live in the UK.

and i live in the us...so if i'm giving you links...they'll probably be us links...i'm not offering these things for you to immediately buy them (though..both of the places i just linked to DO in fact sell and ship to the UK)...trying to give you ideas for you to look at...it seems like you're having an issue with researching and finding sollutions...just trying to narrow down your search

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok people thanks for the advice etc but now I have it all figured out.
So thanks once again.
However one question remains: what is the diffrence between Seagate Barracuda and the ES version. I think ES is Enterprise SATA 2 but what is the diffrence there is quite a bit of diffrence in the price gap.

Edited by Mitesh, 11 August 2006 - 12:08 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
everything i'm seing related to eSATA is "external SATA" do you have model numbers?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
found it

Seagate Barracuda ES1
Barracuda ES is a new class of enterprise storage developed in response to the growing need for cost-effective multi-drive storage. Purpose-built for the demands of capacity-intensive 24x7 applications, Barracuda ES drives deliver an unprecedented blend of enormous capacity, superior reliability and high performance in tightly packed multi-drive systems.
Barracuda ES drives enable RAID systems that perform more reliably and are easier to build and support. Incorporating industry-leading, multi-drive features, such as Error Recovery Control, One-Step Microcode Download and Write Same, Barracuda ES drives speak the language of complex system controllers and hosts, simplifying system integration, improving RAID performance and reducing drive failures.
Barracuda ES drives include additional features to ensure they meet the stringent requirements of 24x7 RAID storage applications:
The highest capacity, with up to 750GB per drive—50 percent more than other drives of the same class.
High tolerance to rotational vibration makes NL35 Series drives ideal for closely-packed RAID system designs.
Protection by the unparalleled Seagate 5-Year Warranty

Available in 250GB, 400GB, 500GB and 750GB capacities, Barracuda ES drives boast the industry’s highest capacity, maximizing scalability in dynamic, capacity-intensive RAID systems. Hundreds (even thousands) of Barracuda ES drives can be deployed and managed within a single SAS domain, enabling highly scalable, cost-effective storage solutions for capacity-hungry applications.
1 Fibre Channel versions available through leading storage system manufacturers 1 Fibre Channel versions available through leading storage system manufacturers

Seagate Barracuda ES SATA1 (Serial ATA) Overview
FEATURE BENEFIT TO ENTERPRISE
250GB, 400GB, 500GB and 750GB Capacities The industry’s highest capacity increases storage density by up to 50 percent and lowers cost-per-gigabyte for capacity-intensive storage applications.
High Reliability in 24x7 Workloads Operates in RAID and other multi-drive environments without compromising application performance or availability; tougher than standard desktop SATA drives
Workload Management Seagate proprietary technology that protects drives from extreme workloads to optimize drive reliability
8- and 16-Mbyte Cache More efficient processing of peak workloads
Native Command Queuing More efficient processing of peak workloads
Error Recovery Control Eliminates false drive failures caused by desktop drive error recovery processes
High Rotational Vibration Tolerance Ready to operate in multiple-drive arrays. 500GB model uses RV Feed Forward for the highest RV tolerance.

Conclusion
Intended to increase efficiency and reduce storage costs, high-capacity RAID solutions can instead add expense and complexity by relying on desktop-class SATA drives not designed for enterprise duty. Optimized for capacity-intensive 24x7 applications, Seagate Barracuda ES drives have the high capacity, high reliability and multi-drive features needed to make cost-effective RAID storage a reality.

sorry for poor formatting

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Thanks now here is the simple question. Is it worth buying an ES drive keeping in mind that each computer will only have 1 500GB drive in them.
Oh and can I use normal SATA cables for a SATA II hard drive or is there a perfomance hit?

Edited by Mitesh, 11 August 2006 - 01:29 PM.