Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Need to recover a file!

• Please log in to reply

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hey guys, thanks for helping me. Here's the sit:

I was writing something in Word and I cut it and forgot to paste it in the other place before i restarted my computer! So now I'm stuck with no file, can you please help me? I have a lot of work in that file. I either need a previous version of the document or the text recovered from the clipboard.

Thanks!
Paul

Edited by paulcomputerman, 10 August 2006 - 03:57 PM.

Advertisements

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I had a situtation here several weeks ago where I couldn't get logged in, either normal or safe mode. I had hundreds of pictures on the drive that I really didn't want to loose. I slaved the drive into another machine and found on the net an application called 'File Scavanger' that almost all but promised it could recover from the drive.

The best part about it is they let the download the full version less the actual recovery tool to allow you to scan your drive and see what it can recover. If you like what it does then you go back to their site, pay the piper and it unlocks your application.

I got all the pictures recovered and was glad to pay the 49.95. You can copy the app to a floppy or CD, record the 'Key' and use it whenever you need.

Its worth a try. If it doesn't find your data you don't have to pay....Good luck....

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Check out the following...I use it regularly, along with about 4-5 others that I am testing...

BadCopy Pro v3.76

©Copyright Jufsoft 1996-2005
E-mail : [email protected]

Overview: BadCopy Pro - Disk and CD corrupted or lost data recovery software.

BadCopy Pro is a data recovery utility for floppy disk, CD-ROM, CD-R/CD-RW/DVD, Digital Media, ZIP/MO/USB Disk and other storage. It can recover and rescue corrupted or lost data from damaged or defective disks.

System Requirement: MS Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if you didnt paste it anywhere or saved it my guess is its gone

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Right, if it was not "saved" in any way, by way of being embedded in the hard drive...its gone. For the future, if you are able, try to find a word processor that auto-saves in the back ground, or can be set up to autosave every few minutes...MS-WORD does this...even in power outages, I have been able to come back to an autosaved file and continue with my work. I am not familiar with any others that do that, although I am sure that there are.

But, this does not help you with the task at hand. Before you defrag, which may cover up any residual data you might want to consider going to google and making a collection of various software which claim to repair or restore files. By running them, even in the tryout mode, they will at least identify if the lost file is present and therefore the potential for a recovery. If they don't find it, then it has, for sure, gone to its greater reward.

Here are a few:

1.....FILE RECOVERY PRO
2.....R-STUDIO [Revovery Studio]
3.....Bad Copy
4.....Active@UNDELETE
5.....AnyReader [mostly for CD's and the like]
6.....FinalRecovery