Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ALT + TAB

• Please log in to reply

tennisboy

tennisboy

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I play counter-strike source or starcraft or warcraft, so anyways i alt + tab a lot while i'm in game to go back to windows cause i am talking on msn messenger, but my computer screen goes pitch black and i end up restarting my computer its really annoying!!!!

any help would be much appreciated thnxs guys

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whats your specs like, most computers have trouble with alt tabbing out of games and processer intensive apps like that and are prone to crashing.

Update all your drivers and do some malware scans and defragging but its fairly normal for that to happen its just pushing most systems a little bit to far sometimes.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The best solution is to NOT alt-tab while in game. Most games nowadays say on the box that the game is not designed to come back successfully from alt-tabbing and that the "devs don't support the use of Alt-Tab" (which makes me chuckle).

Your best bet is to away your MSN and catch up on your convo's when you get back. Or get Xfire, which allows in game chat, very nice.

Edited by BlackPandemic, 10 August 2006 - 09:35 PM.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
LOL it actually says that hahahaha? my gf dosen't understand xfire -_-, but i guess i'll force her lol thanks for the help man =P

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
o ya warriorscot, i recently reformated my computer updated every single driver running amd 3700+, 1gb ocz dual channl ram. Do u think it could have something to do with ram?

thnxs!!

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Yessir. The new Dark Messiah demo tells you that before playing :whistling:

Xfire is a great program. I for one use it and it's quite handy, as long as whoever you want to talk to has it as well. Otherwise, I use it mainly to monitor how much I'm playing in a week.

And unless I'm way off tonight, RAM would have a big part in that. But I am running a gig of RAM and my programs (BF2) come right back up in as little as 30 seconds.