Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Widescreen monitors, graphics adapters, and such

• Please log in to reply

cainiskey

cainiskey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey all,

Just looking for a couple answers about widescreen monitors and the like...

I have a Geforce FX 5700...when I go into the 'display' properties and list all the available resolutions, the "native resolution" of the monitor i'm looking at buying is not listed; all the resolutions are in 4:3...I'm using a non-widescreen CRT right now though. So..
1) Are there no wide-screen resolutions listed because my card can't support it? Or because I'm not on a wide-screen monitor?

Also:
2) How good is Windows XP with wide-screen? As in, am I going to have to contend with a distorted desktop?
3) How about games and movies? If they don't support wide-screen, will the edges get blacked, or will it stretch?
4) What's a good recommended contrast ratio/brightness combo? is a 500:1 CR with a 300 cd/m2 brightness good enough for movies and games?

Sorry about my ignorance; I have NO experience with wide-screen anything...

Thanks in advance,

~G

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

1) Are there no wide-screen resolutions listed because my card can't support it? Or because I'm not on a wide-screen monitor?

alot of times you won't see the resolution you want because the gfx card knows your monitor can't do it...

2) How good is Windows XP with wide-screen? As in, am I going to have to contend with a distorted desktop?

shouldn't be any issue i've got some "wide screen" systems at work and the desktop does fine when on the wide screen resolution

3) How about games and movies? If they don't support wide-screen, will the edges get blacked, or will it stretch?

not sure but i would think that they would just center themselves intheir normal resolution

not a clue on the last one

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For 3, the codec and software used will adjust the image to fit the screen so in a widescreen spect movie the black edges of the letter box will be decreased in height to compensate for the longer screen, but itll be adjusted to fit you can also manually select aspect ratios.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I love XP with widescreen mode.

When u play a game that doesnt have widescreen mode, It will stretch out.