Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
i jus upgraded to windows xp pro with SP2 and after installing whenever starting up there are 2 situations:

1- the windows xp screen that appears jus before the welcome screen [the one in DOS type graphics] where the loading bar is shown appears but the bar gets stuck before it completes the distance. it gets stuck either in between or the beginning or the end; jus nywhere in the bar. then all u can do is manually reboot or shut down.

2- nothing related to windows xp appears [not even the screen defined above]. instead it directly goes to the advanced startup options screen where it asks for 'last known good...', 'safe mode...' etc. if i select last known good configuration the problem described in situation 1 takes place. if i select safe mode it starts loading some drivers/files then pauses for a while and the computer automatically restarts.

plz tell me wat to do. dunno why i feel its a hardware problem, my hdd the prime suspect. but i m still not sure. all i want is to be able to acess windows without problems ASAP so this is an emergency. i jus don understand why this is happening. :whistling:

thanks

edit:it jus popped into mind, i shud've posted this topic be in the windows xp forum isnt it? nyways, if admin/mod wanna move it there then i've got no problems. it was my mistake [i think so].

Edited by badben25, 11 August 2006 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
might want to try to reinstall xp pro

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you start in safe mode does a list of files scroll across the screen? does this list stop scrolling on a specific file? which one?

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
as regards to my earlier post...before you reinstall try to put the xp disk in and repair the current copy of xp installed.

Edited by Longhorns242, 11 August 2006 - 08:17 AM.