Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

skt 775 and LGA775?

• Please log in to reply

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
is there a differnce between skt 775 and skt LGA775

the MOBO im using is a Intel D915GLVG so can someone help me need to get a CPU ASAP!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
skt is a abbreviation for Socket. LGA are the letters for Land Grid Array which is how the processor connects to the motherboard. Before LGA intel processors used pins on the cpu to connect into holes in the cpu socket on the motherboard. LGA does away with this by using what look like dots on the cpu. Thes dots are pressed against similar dots in the cpu socket on the motherboard. This is for less problems installing the cpu into the MB. All 775 sockets are the same. If you really wanted to get technical you would call the socket on the motherboard a " Land Grid Array 775 Socket".

SRX660

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
so any socket 775 CPU would fit the mobo? (weather LGA or not?)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, not exactly. Some motherboards are not capable of the 800 front side bus so the processors that are built for the 800 fsb cannot be used. Some motherboards cannot use the pentium D processors while normal pentium 4 's can be used. You will have to look at the motherboard spec's and see what processors it can use. Usually i look for the manufacturers website for the PDF manual and downloading it. Upon opening the manual i will find what processors will work in it. Every motherboard i buy i will download the manual and read it befire buying.

SRX660

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thank you for the quick replies, have got the pdf made things a lot clearer