Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where is my hard drive space ? Also cd/dvd player question

• Please log in to reply

thejushinator

thejushinator

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just purchased a used dell latitude c640 laptop off ebay. It seems the listing was misleading though. It stated that the hard drive was 30 gb. But it is infact 20gb. But the thing about it is that it says it only has 14.6 gb. I think linux is taking up the other 5.4gb. But i have no idea how to delete linux. I want to delete Linux completely off the computer but i have no idea how. Anyone who could point me in the right direction on how to delete Linux i would appricate it.

My other problem is that the cd-rw/dvd doesn't work. When i put the cd or dvd in it doesn't even spin (if it does i can't hear it). And it doesn't even recogonize there is a cd in the drive when i put one in. Anything simple I might be missing on to why it isn't working ? This is my first laptop so i am just making sure i dont have to activate it or something..... Not to sure.

My main thing is i want to recover that 5.4gb of hard drive space that linux is taking up. With only a 20gb hard drive i need all my available space.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, how do you know Linux is on the system? How do you know the hard disk is only 20 GB? Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmentor. You should see how big the hard disk is now, right? Also, for the CD Drive, try updating the drivers for it by going to the drive manufacturer's website. Also, just for the future, please make a seperate topic per question to avoid confusion.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can read this on removing the linux partition. I have not tried this so i don't know if it works well. It is rather skimpy on details to suit me.

http://www.linux.com...gies/x412.shtml

Read this also.

http://linuxgazette....e48/tag/30.html

The cd-rw/dvd drive should work from the getgo. Unless autostart has been turned off putting a CD in should at least bring up a window asking what you want to do with it. i've had some cd drive failures with laptops If you have determined the drive is dead you can buy a new one easily but they are not cheap like desktop computer drives.

http://www.nextag.co...ive/search-html

SRX660

thejushinator

thejushinator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I know linux is on the computer, because when it boots up it has me pick between going to linux or windows. When i went to disk defragment it said that it is 14.65gb. Thanks for the links on deleting linux i will give them a try.

I found new dvd-rw/cd-rw drives on ebay for $50. Anything i should look for when buying one to make sure i dont get ripped off ?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Perhaps a return policy for starters... If they explain the condition it's in, that would also help. It would also be helpful to know how old it is, what manufacturer made it, and also how "hard it was worked" while in use. Why the person is selling it is also a good bit of information.