Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Geeks,

I am having a major problem with my copy of Windows XP. Basically, i have the blue screen of death with the following stop code:

***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8237F8D0, 0c0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have tried using fixboot, fixmbr, chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r and everything else i could try with the recovery console. I have tried using basic drivers and disabling services etc... in MSConfig. And i have tried to use the Microsoft Website's suggestions - all to no avail.
I really don't want to have to format and reboot the whole PC. Does anyone have any suggestions around this problem?

Here is the Microsoft site with some of the tactics i used:

http://support.micro...B;en-us;q297185

The problem began after i downloaded Windows Updates (last time i'm doing that). Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I can run in safe mode if anyone fancies talking me through it.

Many thanks in advance,
Noobsaibot21

Advertisements

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
a quick question, is this a original version of xp, if it is not that may be your problem, and if it is try using the system restore which is in start, all programs, accesories, system tools, and system restore, just restore your pc to the time before the updates. if that doesent help try removing the updates from the control panel's add or remove program, at the top of the window there is a option that says show update's, add a checkmark to that and remove those updates, with the lates installation date

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi There,

This is an original version of Windoes XP with Service Pack 2.
I have tried to restore the computer to an earlier time but that didn't work. I'm not sure that the updates are successfully installed as the computer has not restarted (properly) since i installed. I will give the Add remove suggestion a go though and will let you know how i get on.

Regards,
Noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again,

No luck with removing any updates. The latest installed updates in the Add/Remove option are dated from before the time i have gotten this problem.

Any ideas?
Regards,
Noobsaibot21

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi noobsaibot21...

Do you have the XP installation cd? Is it a retail version or OEM version (like Dell or HP)?

wannabe1

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello,

I have an XP disc directly from Microsoft. Not for Retail Or OEM distribution. It's the same as a regular retail version.

Regards,
Noobsaibot21

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again,

I may have already tried this - not 100% sure. Looks pretty straight forward though. I will give it a go. Do i HAVE to install Windows Updates? I regularly use Zonealarm, Hijack This, Firefox and AVG. I never gain anything but trouble updating Windows (as far as i can tell) and i don't usually visit dodgy sites (apart from Gamefaqs.com :whistling:

Anyhow, will try this tonight and let you know (hopefully tonight)
Regards,
Noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Hello again,

I may have already tried this - not 100% sure. Looks pretty straight forward though. I will give it a go. Do i HAVE to install Windows Updates? I regularly use Zonealarm, Hijack This, Firefox and AVG. I never gain anything but trouble updating Windows (as far as i can tell) and i don't usually visit dodgy sites (apart from Gamefaqs.com :blink:

Anyhow, will try this tonight and let you know (hopefully tonight)
Regards,
Noobsaibot21

Hello again,

I am now on my own computer again. The repair eventually worked for me through a combo of safe mode and booting from CD a few times. However, when i was asked to update Zone Alarm, i did so and when i restarted to let the changes take effect, the same problem occured. I have uninstalled Zone alarm for the moment. Any ideas on this?

Also, when i boot up, the blue screen flashes and the computer restarts BUT, it doesn't happen after that (unless i power off and on again). Weird. :whistling:

Regards,
Noobsaibot21

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ZoneAlarm can be a bit glitchy on some systems...not sure why that is. Leave it uninstalled for now.

Are you running Service Pack 2?

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

Service pack 2 is on. The computer gets the unmountable boot volume about 7 times before it restarts but it eventually starts Windows (takes about 10 mins)

Any ideas?
Regards,
Noobsaibot21

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok".

In the Command window, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

When told the volume is busy and asked if you'd like this to run on the next boot, type Y and press "Enter".

Reboot.

This check will take a while...be patient.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
i have another question, did you ever open up your pc and removed hardware componenets, like the hard drive, cd-rom or anything like this, if you did im almost sure i found your problem let me know

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again gents,

No Luck with chkdsk /r. The computer keep restarting completely now. I will have to go for the repair again which i will do tonight (after snakes on a plane) :whistling:

Could we be looking at a virus? It has the same stop code - ***STOP 00000000ED - but some of the numbers in brackets are different.

Aero:

No, i havent changed anything physically since i built it. Last things i connected to it (via USB) were a Zen Micro, a Microphoto, a Nano, a PSP and my Sony phone. All of these things worked (and still work) without incident.

Many thanks,
Noobsaibot21