Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question about reinstalling windows xp

• Please log in to reply

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Hi, I was reading this tutorial online about how to reformat and keep my documents without moving them off my drive. http://winhowto.blog...-easily_22.html

However, instead of installing the full version of windows xp, I was thinking about installing xplite: http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

I was wondering this tutorial will still work if use the xp lite install cd instead. Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Numb Remxed...

Unfortunately, this will not work. XP lite is a configurataion utility that will allow you to disable and/or remove some Windows components, but is not an operating system in itself. You will still have to install a full version of XP before you can use the XP lite.

XP installation cd's and some OEM Recovery cd's will give you the option to repair the current installation without losing your data. There is a guide for the repair HERE.

wannabe1

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi Numb Remxed..

What you can do is reinstall winxp on your computer without reformatting!
Just install it in an other folder. EG:windows2,windowsxp,newwindows.
Most CD's that you can boot from can do this. I know update CDs can not!

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
oh... i get it. I was thinking about getting xplite and I didn't even realize that it's not an operating system. It's just a configuration utility.

Alright thanks for your help. But another question popped in my mind.

I'm thinking about getting a macbook pro next year when OS X v10.5 comes out. And I will most likely dual boot windows xp using bootcamp. Will it be possible to use xplite to slim windows xp down on a mac? Thanks.

Edited by Numb Remxed, 20 August 2006 - 08:00 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...so long as you install it on Windows XP and XP is on it's own partition.