Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLI question

• Please log in to reply

AKAlias

AKAlias

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently i purchased a new system (got all the parts myself (they are all compatable)), and decided to go SLI. I have 2 gb of ram, and an amd athelon x2 4200+ on my board. I installed all the latest drivers for my MB (Gigabyte- GA-M55SLI-S4) and it appears as though my second pcie16 slot isn't working.... I have 2 Leadtek WinFast PX7300GT's in it, card #2 is in the second slot. Both cards recieve power from the MB, i can see the fans running. My motherboard gave me a bridge but it doesn't fit the cards. Also, if you can get a picture of the cards, it has no spot for a bridge on it leading me to believe it's purely software. I have switched both cards out with the primary slot, and everything works with both cards, so it's not a card failure... Is it something with the bios? when i bring my nvidia control pannel up, it does not recognize my second card, even though i know i put it in correctly....

Also, just as a sidenote, when i play a game (Gunz: the duel) sometimes my computer will freeze totally up, and not unfreeze... I have installed all the latest drivers for my system, and don't know everything about processor speed, but i know a dual core 4200+ along with 2 gigs of ram shouldn't just freeze up. Also, when i'm installing something, and i try to open IE, IE never opens, so i bring up taskmanager, and it says i'm using about 1% of my cpu.... I've also played UT with the card on the highest settings possible, and i get a line in the middle of my screen, but only when it's connecting to a server... kind of like it's halfway noticing 2 cards, and trying to get the second card to render the bottom half of my screen.....

EDIT:just a couple of minutes ago, i was running my UT server, gunz, and an IE with trillian messenger and winamp. Everything was working normally, no hitches or anything, then everything started to freeze up. Task manager said i was using 2% of my processor and 500mb of ram outta my 2gb total.... what's going on?

I know that's a lot, but thanks for any help possible
-AKAlias

Edited by AKAlias, 11 August 2006 - 07:30 PM.

Advertisements

AKAlias

AKAlias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
*bump*

Sorry if this is against the rules..... i didn't see anything to indicate that though.

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
my advise virus check, clear all un needed files and programs see if that helps if not a reformat wounld hurt (you would lose everything but hurt nah.. :whistling:)

you say you got all the parts yourself, where from shops or e-bay?

AKAlias

AKAlias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

my advise virus check, clear all un needed files and programs see if that helps if not a reformat wounld hurt (you would lose everything but hurt nah.. :whistling:)

you say you got all the parts yourself, where from shops or e-bay?

I've already checked my pc several times with Ad-Aware, Spybot, and AVG free edition. All found nothing. I have about 5 programs on this computer, and i've already reformatted. - i don't really wanna do it again.

After spending a ton of time talking to nvidia support about their cards, they finally told me to talk to my MB manufacturer... and of course they haven't responded yet.

I got all my parts off Newegg.com