Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win2k3 won't boot after CWShreder

• Please log in to reply

Doc Hammoc

Doc Hammoc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I was hit hard by everything under the sun last week I think. Thank God I found this site! I was able to follow the "start here" instructions and *mostly* whip my system back to shape.

However after I ran CWShreder in Safe Mode I can no longer boot! Windows will go through all it's startup routines including "Network Setup" fine but during "Application Setup" it reboots, just the login screen is normally shown.

Rebooting in Safe Mode reboots in asimular way. Selecting "Disable automatic restart on system failure" sounded good but no avail.

Still trying ...

Advertisements

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
Can you try this... While the PC is booting up hold f8 you will get a menu try Last known good Configuration...

Doc Hammoc

Doc Hammoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply. Can't believe I am still working on this! There is an option to "try last know good configuration" on the "safe mode" win2k3 boot menu. I tried that and every other boot menu option.

I tried recovery console and also F2 repair booting from the Win2k3 CD also. No recovery disk and not sure what to do from the console.

I was able to recover the data by installing a second drive and install Windows XP on it in dual boot. (It was more fun than usual because Win2k3 is on a RAID and could not install driver because of broken floppy drive. Got past that.)

I backed up the entire drive. Then I tried to reinstall Win2k3 boot files by doing a "partial install". I ended up doing a full install, overwritning the old OS but keeping the data. That worked but of course I lost my desktop, registry settings, etc.

I booted back into XP and made a backup of the fresh Win2k3. Then restored the original and got right back where I started. Win2k3 reboots before the login screen.

Now I restored just the system32 files from the fresh Win2k3 over the top. Got past the login but had other problems. Now I have both sets of system32 files restored to seperate directories and am continuing trial and error ...

Any more hints at what I should try would be cool. Thanks!

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
Are you still having any problems?