Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wide screen resolution in XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Originally, when I installed XP, it ran the login screen in the monitor's native res of 1680 x 1050. I installed the catalyst drivers for my X800 XT. Now it loads in some 4:3 ratio and changes to the native res once windows loads. This is a pain because it keeps moviing icons to adjust for the changed resolution. Is there a way to make it load into 1680 x 1050 when it first gets to the screen via some ini file or something? Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've researched this a little deeper and found nothing so far.... you guys seem to be the only ones who might have an answer.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
It probably your video card is not Wide screenable. Im running my laptop with my ATI Radeon Xpress 200m with 1440x900 and i have no problems with it.

Or you might need to update your card.

Edited by HPDV8315LOVER, 12 August 2006 - 08:29 PM.

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no no. It's got support for the resolution. It's just that after I installed the new catalyst driver it does not have the proper res on the login screen.
As soon as it logs in, it adjusts the resolution for the proper 1680 x 1050. But it appears to be doing 1280 x 1024 at the login screen. If I sign out, and go back to the login screen, it remains at native res. They must be a way to have it load to native res by default because it did it fine before the new driver, and it worked fine when I was using windows 2k pro with the same driver package.