Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3Dmark06

• Please log in to reply

oakland a

oakland a

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello all,

I just built my first computer with no problems, but when i run 3dmark06 I get a score I think of about 3121 or somthing around there, im wonderin is this about average for a 7900 GT overclocked to 549/1700 and a core 2 duo E6400 overclocked to 2.47 Ghz. If i posted in the wrong area sorry. Thanks any help is appreciated

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
3dmark 06, its hard to get very high. people usually get like 9kish with an sli 7900GTX, so dun wry, check 3dmark 05 if its aobe 8 or 9k, its fine.

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thx, ill go and download mark05 and see

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just got home and installed and ran 3DMark05 and i got a score of 6110

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
thats fine considering what you have. just try overclcoking ur parts a bit more, and you'll be fine.

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
all right, thx im probaly going to get a 3rd party cooler and overclock my e6400 to around 3ghz

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Why not try running the 3dMark tests with nothing overclocked and see what you get. Your computer could be overheating during the test and that is causing the lower scores. DO NOT OVERCLOCK YOUR CPU TO 3.0GHz. You are already OC-ing it too much anyways. From what I have read, the default clock speed for that processor is 1.86 to 2.13GHz in speed. Unless you have watercooling being used I would not overclock that at all. Also your video card the 7900GT is a top-of-the-line card and shouldn't be overclocked either. You would get no performance improvement overclocking it. All you would end up with is a hole in the wall after you get pissed when your new rig dies on you. Also, what type of memory do you have installed? Did you get the cheapo memory or did you go with the good memory? Please state the brand of memory you used. Also, when you seated the processor on the motherboard, did you use the crappy thermal compound that came with the heatstink/fan or did you use good stuff like Artic Silver?

As for finding out the temperatures of your processor, mobo, etc...Please download ownload Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Please post your temperatures for BEFORE you run either one of the 3dmark tests and then one AFTER you run one of the 3dmark tests.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanExample.JPG

Edited by Fenor, 14 August 2006 - 06:33 AM.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Why not try running the 3dMark tests with nothing overclocked and see what you get. Your computer could be overheating during the test and that is causing the lower scores. DO NOT OVERCLOCK YOUR CPU TO 3.0GHz. You are already OC-ing it too much anyways. From what I have read, the default clock speed for that processor is 1.86 to 2.13GHz in speed. Unless you have watercooling being used I would not overclock that at all. Also your video card the 7900GT is a top-of-the-line card and shouldn't be overclocked either. You would get no performance improvement overclocking it. All you would end up with is a hole in the wall after you get pissed when your new rig dies on you. Also, what type of memory do you have installed? Did you get the cheapo memory or did you go with the good memory? Please state the brand of memory you used. Also, when you seated the processor on the motherboard, did you use the crappy thermal compound that came with the heatstink/fan or did you use good stuff like Artic Silver?

As for finding out the temperatures of your processor, mobo, etc...Please download ownload Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Please post your temperatures for BEFORE you run either one of the 3dmark tests and then one AFTER you run one of the 3dmark tests.

i dont think tis a big deal to OC an allendale to 3.0GHz, you wouldnt need water cooling, many people reach 3.0GHz on air just ifne, u just have to make sure ur air flow is sufficient, no wires in the way, clean the filters and bezels regularly, get a zalman VGA cooler and HSF, and a 12cm fan and u should hit 3.0GHz without going above 45-50 C, and make sure u have applied a fresh coat of Arctic Silver 5 onto ur IHS.

here are the 2 coolers im talkin about

Heatsink/Fan: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118223

VGA Cooler : http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118117

and just a Thermaltake or Antec or Zalman, or w/e good brand 120mm Fan, just make sure its one thats reviewed to be quiet......like this one
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999122

relatively quiet, but if it gets really FAST its gonna make some noise, like all fans i guess.

oh and i almost forgot the thermal paste
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100007

and u can use this to remove the previous application of a thermal compound
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010

Edited by Tru Techie, 14 August 2006 - 05:42 PM.

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Fenor, when i downloaded and installed speedfan i only get one temp and it shows 35 C. So how do i make the other readings show up.
thx inadvance Oh ya i took off the old thermal compound and Arctic Silver 5

Edited by oakland a, 15 August 2006 - 12:58 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Some motherboards dont have temperature sensors that speedfan can get. Is the heading for the one temperature that shows Temp1? If so, that is your processor and that temperature is good. Just make sure your processor doesn't go to 40C or higher idling (aka your computer is on but just at the desktop with no games/apps running besides A/V, firewall and anti-spyware programs).

I myself see no need to OC a computer. The rewards don't outweigh the tremendous risk of causing immediate damage to your computer. If if the computer is running stable, the life-span of the computer is drastically reduced because of the overclocking even if no ill-effects are currently present. Just doesn't see worth it to cut the life of your computer by that much for a couple of fps in a game...

Fenor

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
When testing with the 3Dmark utilities, or any other utility for that matter, get a baseline reading first. That is, without overclocking and with stock voltages. Then start OC'ing in stages, 5%, 10% etc. Checking temperatures as you go. At some point, the OC'ing will cease to give a corresponding increase in performance.

Bumping up the frequency and voltage x-amount at the get go will only cause frustration that the perfomance didn't increase as much as expected and can hit the wallet with burned parts.

:whistling:

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
even if u do shorten the life of your comptuer, it will STILL last a long time, and seeing as how new technology is coming out like.......bi annually, you wil most likely upgrade before its life ends.....

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

even if u do shorten the life of your comptuer, it will STILL last a long time, and seeing as how new technology is coming out like.......bi annually, you wil most likely upgrade before its life ends.....

Hey, if you have the money to throw around and get new stuff all the time, then by all means OC away and get the most out of your equipment, even if it wont last as long. I myself don't have that luxury, but if I did, I would definitely OC my stuff without having to worry about anything getting damaged. But if you do overclock, PLEASE make sure that you hav important documents (picture, resumes, tax stuff, etc...) backed up somewhere safe beforehand, just in case...

Fenor

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well i went to check what it says on speedfan and it shows temp:38 C but it doesnt have a one next to it

Edited by oakland a, 15 August 2006 - 10:02 PM.

oakland a

oakland a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
bump