Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website not loading up

• Please log in to reply

tom_george

tom_george

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello GeeksToGo!

Well basically there is the website "http//:www.thesgl.com" that I used to visit everyday. Suddenly it stopped working. Along the bottom of my browser it says I have connected to the site, but it just wont load up. I've spoken to the admins of the site and nothing is wrong their end. Its also fine for all of my friends.
Was just wondering if you could help me.

Thanks Alot

Simon George (Tom's Brother :whistling:)

Edited by tom_george, 12 August 2006 - 06:03 AM.

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I've expirienced this kind of bahvior (Blank page when site seems to be loaded) with Internet Explorer, when the encoding was set to unicode. If it's the case, try to change the encoding.

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks, but could you be more specific? I dont know much to do with the computer I'm afraid :whistling:, don't know what the encoding is :blink:

Thanks

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Tom, encoding is:

Encoding is the process of changing data from one form into another according to a set of rules specifiec by a codec. The data is usually a file containing audio, video or still image. Often the encoding is done to make a file compatible with specific hardware (such as a DVD Player) or to compress or reduce the space the data occupies. Common video encoding methods are DivX, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. A common audio encoding method is MP3 although many others exist including MPEG1 audio, DTS, and Dolby Digital.

But lests not make things complicated, what web browser are you using?

Cool :whistling:

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The default one? i dont know, internet explorer i guess :whistling: sorry for double posting, wasnt sure whether you would read this one again

thanks

Simon

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again Tom, sorry for the late reply. Try this first:

> Open "Internet Explorer"
> Click "Tools"
> Internet Options...
> Click "Advanced Tab"
> Click "Restore Defualts" button

Then please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only[list]
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

Once you have done those steps try and load up the page again and let me know if there is any difference.

Cool :whistling:

cHk

cHk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey, Its Simon George, the guy who has been posting on Tom's account. As much as that cleaner cleaned, it still does not work, i followed those steps twice to be sure..
Any other ideas?

Thanks Alot

Simon

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Make sure your active X controls are enabled- the site has 2 active X controls. Worked fine for me on IE6.
Johanna

cHk

cHk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Sorry guys, can you be more specific, i dont know what active x controls are :whistling:
Sorry for the bother.

Thanks Simon

cHk

cHk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Wahoo, i just tried the site, and it works, random huh! I didn't do anything.
But thanks alot for your help anyway, and specially thanks for that ATF Cleaner!
Can I donate money to you guys?
Thanks
Simon