Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE problems and random freezes

• Please log in to reply

chunkeroo

chunkeroo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I am getting random freezes. This happens at any time in any programme, even the start menu freezes and I end up having lots of frozen windows. I use CTRL+ALT+DELETE but that window freezes too. Also IE just shuts down - sometimes within seconds of logging on. I am typing this as fast as possible before I get chucked off. I have run eventvwr.msc and see alot of errors but being a dimwit, don't know what it all means. I also tried a sfc / scannow but that failed to execute. A DOS screen appeared for a split second and then disappeared. I have attached my eventvwr.msc logs. Can anyone help? Should I re-install Windows? I tried a repair but wasn't offered "repair" in the options.

Clare :whistling:

Attached Files

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
try safe mode first... hit the F8 Key at startup... lol but it sounds like you couldnt really get anywhere... with the freezing and all, it would be hard to tell you to do anything.

sounds like spyware though and a virus.

if you can get anywhere, go to www.download.com and get avg free addition

if your pc is infected it will let you know.

chunkeroo

chunkeroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi AitrusSkyy

Thanks for your response. I have AVG, also, SpwareDoc, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Ewido. Have run other various malware sofware and also Trend online virus scanner. Have acted on all problems picked up. The freezes and IE probs are still there. If I re-install Windows, what data will I lose? I have backed up all my folders to another hard drive.

Clare

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
The main thing you need to backup Clare (nice name btw) is your Documents... Dont worry about backing up programs you have on cd somewhere, simply backup the items you cannot replace because you made them. Word docs, music you bought, pictures etc...

If you clearly do not have a virus based upon all those programs you have scanned with, possibly your pc is having a memory error, or hard drive issue.

Usually if things hang, its because of

spyware
a virus
overheating of the cpu and/or ram
bad ram
bad hard drive (but in most cases it wouldnt work at all if this were the case)

Have you recently moved your pc from a location to another? is it getting good circulation, can you hear the fan running?

In any case, if you want to format, then just backup your documents. Get your xp cd out, and get some popcorn and some chocolate and a boom box and sit back and spend a few hours getting stuff set right again :whistling:

PS: if you use outlook express and have emails you want saved, let me know, also if you have internet favorites you want saved let me know, if not then disregard.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 12 August 2006 - 08:42 AM.

chunkeroo

chunkeroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi AitrusSkyy

Thanks. I wondered about overheating. I have had the cover off and got rid of any dust. The fan is fairly quiet but things seemed a bit hot in there to me. Would a bigger fan help? Not sure what all the bits are in there but I can no doubt work it out. I installed some extra RAM a few months back to add to existing RAM. Maybe one of them is corrupt. Should I take one out and see if this cures the problem. Funnily enough, things have been OK for a couple of hours. I often get a DrWatson postmortem error message. What's that all about? Have just "rolled back" to a week ago, just in case I have got rid of something important.

Any advice is much appreciated. :whistling:

Clare

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well if you did add some new ram, its possible the ram was bad, or possible that the ram speed does not match what kind you need.

Sometimes you can take off the cover on some pcs to clean out dust, and they will overheat if you leave the cover off... Why? Because when the cover of a pc is on, it kind of creates a wind tunnel for the fan to suck air over the ram and cpu.

Also might want to look into buying some alluminum coolers for your ram, it couldnt hurt.

They cost about 3 bucks for each stick of ram, very cheap, and you can self install it on your ram. Here is what they look like.

http://www.tigerdire...e...7&CatId=496

I would also ( if you know how ) take your cpu fan out and make sure it has proper placement of cooling bond, silver is the best, you can also buy this cheap....

http://www.tigerdire...e...9&CatId=503

it goes on top of the cpu chip (not on the pins of course ) and touches base with the cooler that sits on top of the cpu, the cpu heats up, the silver gel sucks the heat off the cpu and transfers it to the alluminum cooler or fan above your cpu chip...

Naturally you already have that on there, but sometimes they dont put enough or it wears out.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 12 August 2006 - 09:26 AM.

chunkeroo

chunkeroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Cheers

Will check out your recommendations. I don't know a lot about computers but am willing to learn and have a go. So far so good! By the way, the "roll back" I did has re-set Internet Explorer back to version 6 from 7. I downloaded version 7 a couple days ago. Maybe this was the problem.

Anyway, fingers crossed. All seems OK at the moment. I'll be back if I get stuck again. Thanks for your patience with a computer novice.

Clare :whistling:

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Any time... the only thing that makes a novice a pro is actually having the problems... not college, not books, not even listening to people... Hands on is the best, and untill its happened to you, you cant say you are pro :whistling:... [bleep] I wouldnt even say im pro, im novice to... so many computer problems ill never be pro...