Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to delete linux off my laptop !

• Please log in to reply

thejushinator

thejushinator

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I purchased a used dell latitude c640 off of ebay recently. When i recieved it, it had both linux and windows installed on it. I have no idea how to use linux nor do i want it on my laptop. I went to google and typed in "deleting linux" and stuff similar to that with no success. Can anyone link me to or tell me the easiest way to delete linux from my computer ?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Itll most likely be on its own partition you just need to reformat that partition, although if its set up for a dual boot i would just leave it as it can be a useful thing to have on occasion and has certain benefits over windows including speed and security and you dont have to use it just set windows as default and itll boot to that unless you specify otherwise and you can keep linux as your backup in case windows goes wrong which it can do on occasion.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If the boot loaded is setup for Linux, you will need to reinstall the Windoze boot loaded. You can do that by using the Windoze install disk.

If you just remove the partitions that Linux uses, you might not be able to boot the machine. Some version of Linux allow for reinstalling the boot loaded from Windoze, but then you need those disks to boot from it and use the boot options.

If you want the easiest and best way, I would strongly suggest reloading the machine from scratch. You don't know what is currently on the machine and it is best to only have what you know you can reload. This also means that you know that there will be no viruses, spyware other other things on the machine. Personally, I would not sell a machine without wiping everything out to ensure that my information is gone from the machine. I also do this when I get a machine since I don't want to find out the hard way that there is something on the machine which I don't care to deal with (ie. child [bleep]).