Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop not loading

• Please log in to reply

dchislett

dchislett

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've read through a ton of other postings i thought might help but no luck.

Long and short of it is that my comp was working ok, yes I did have a virus but I was dealing with that. There was a power cut and after power back I restarted the comp. Everything fine so far. I go next door to watch the telly, come back and it's restarted itself again but this time the desktop has no icons/taskbar. Have loaded it up in safe mode etc with exactly the same thing. Ran Task Manager and have been using that to load up programs. One other thing is that before when i tried to run explorer.exe in Task Manager it wouldn't do it so I made a copy of it and ran that. Worked fine. I'm at the end of my tether now as I need my comp to work properly so I can write my dissertation. Please please help me
Have run antivirus and antispyware and removed a few nasties but still no luck.
Is there a file telling the comp to load up the taskbar and desktop? Please please help

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In task manager, under processes, do you see explorer.exe?

Hit control alt del, choose log off

Log back on as ADMINISTRATOR

Do you have the normal SHELL (taskbar, start menu, etc)

dchislett

dchislett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When it first loads up no there isn't a process called explorer.exe. If I try to run it it comes up with an error saying it cannot find it. That was why I copied it to explorer2.exe which I can run. I don't get why that works, it just does!

In normal start up mode, if I log off the only user I can log on as is as myself. I know there's an administrator log in, in safe mode and I'll give that a quick go but none normally.

As such still no SHELL.

I'll try most anything so cheers for helping

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run then type chkdsk /f /r then type Y to set for next boot and then reboot. Takes ages but should make a difference.

dchislett

dchislett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I gave it a shot, it ran it all and everything but still no luck with the desktop. Same as before, background but nothing else.
Cheers for the suggestion though. Any ideas anyone? Pretty please as my comp does not wish to boot from the cdrom in bios either raising further problems with formatting and reinstalling!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when logged in in safe mode as admin, was there a taskbar?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the XP disc in, it is set to boot from CDROM, boot and keep tapping the enter key

rhinestone

rhinestone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm having the exact same problem. It started this morning after I restarted my computer. The desktop doesn't load (no taskbar, no icons, nothing) but I can use the task manager to open things (explorer.exe is not listed in the running processes and when I try to start it with new task, it says it cannot find the file). I tried renaming the file, too, and it worked, but it only opens up the containing folder and doesn't bring back my desktop.

...Infact, it happened because I was trying to boot into safe mode to get rid of a virus...something with symav.exe.

rhinestone

rhinestone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Wow, I just found two other posts about a similar problem, both posted today (with no solution).

http://www.geekstogo...ues-t12671.html
http://www.geekstogo..._on-t12729.html

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
use task manager to load hijackthis....the frequency of this problem leads me to believe a bad trojan is on the loose and it is interfering with the loading of the Windows Shell (since explorer is not loading in anycase).

post a log

rhinestone

rhinestone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:18:37 PM, on 3/20/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Serv-U\ServUDaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.tshastry.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp.../search/ie.html
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsioReg] REGSVR32.EXE /S CTASIO.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A920] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hostdll.exe] C:\WINDOWS\hostdll.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SRFirstRun] rundll32 srclient.dll,CreateFirstRunRp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DXDllRegExe] C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}\dxdllreg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SchedulingAgent] mstinit.exe /firstlogon
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AD Black List - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Block All Images from the Same Server - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: bugmenot - file://C:\Program Files\bugmenot.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Highlight - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open All Links in This Page... - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1111360627828
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zone...ctor/WebAAS.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CDA53EE4-E9E5-48E2-B1F9-70E44E1FD0BC}: NameServer = 63.240.76.4,204.127.198.4
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apache - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe" --ntservice (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Macromedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
O23 - Service: Serv-U FTP Server (Serv-U) - Cat Soft - C:\PROGRA~1\Serv-U\ServUDaemon.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

I've tried doing a repair install of XP as well, but the problem still persists.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what were you doing when this problem began?

You don't have anything (showing) in the hijack log that would explain this. You do have several peculiarities, however.

Do you need to be running a webserver? Database? FTP server? (from this machine).

We're you installing a game? Windows updates?

Were you uninstalling a webserver package?

For starters, remove the following by checking them and pressing the FIX CHECKED button

O23 - Service: Apache - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe" --ntservice (file missing)

O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)

rhinestone

rhinestone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I'm running a server right now, so those should be there (not sure why it says the files are missing because the services are running fine).

When I found this problem, I was restarting into safe mode in order to get rid of a virus (netsky, something with symav.exe). on restarting, I logged in to my account and the screen stayed blank after verifying my password. I did notice that the acount "administrator" was present, but I assumed it was because I had booted into safe mode. I then rebooted normally and the same problem occured, no desktop. However, the virus indications seem to be gone now. NOD32 would pop up about symav.exe and I would normally just delete the file. I decided to do some work in safe mode because the problem was persisting.

rhinestone

rhinestone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
WOO I FIXED IT.

I made a new account, rebooted in safe mode, logged on to it for the first time, logged off, and then deleted it through my old account (which by that time was working). I think it was because when I logged on for the first time to that new account, it restored some system files (Microsoft AntiSpyware gave me an alert that this file was changed or whatever).