Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Shut Down - Why

• Please log in to reply

strings41

strings41

• Pip
  • 2 posts
* * ASUS P4P800SE Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard
* * JATON 3DFORCE MX4000 TWIN Geforce 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
* * Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor
* * Rosewill 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
* * NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
* * Rosewill Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with a 400W(20+4 pin) Power Supply
* * Athenatech 18-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
* * Encore 56Kbps Internal Fax Modem(NetoDragon)
* * SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DWQ28A
* * Koutech 4-Port FireWire/1394 PCI Card

The above is for reference:

I built this system 1 year ago and it has always worked fine. The last couple of weeks it has been wanting to shut down on me in the middle of a process. If I let anything process something, within 5 minutes it would shut down (No Warning - Hard shutdown)

I was going to look at it today to find the problem. Here is what I have done.

Swapped Power Supply - Didn"t fix

Swapped Graphics card - Didn"t fix

Removed Modem - Didn"t fix

Removed 1394 Card - Didn"t fix

Reseated RAM - Didn"t fix

I was going to reseat the Processor so I took the fan and heatsink off. The heatsink was so hot, I could not hold it. I blew everything off with canned air and when it was cool again I reseated the processor and put the fan and heatsink back on. - Didn"t fix I shut off with in 3 seconds....The processor didn't have time to get hot.

Can someone give me some advice.

Thanks more than you'll ever know in advance,

strings41

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is almost certainly a heat problem, as the heatsink should never be so hot as to be untouchable. Ensure that the fan is spinning.

Failing that, this can be the sign of a duff processor, even more so if this problem only occurs under load and doesn't occur under idle conditions.

strings41

strings41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The fan is spinning.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
when you seated the CPU back on did you remove and apply new thermal compund???
if not you could have seriously damaged your CPU (if you already havent)

how have you got your cooling set-up in your case?

this just sounds like you need to get more air in and out of your case. i reasearched your case and its not the best case for cooling out there (in fact its pretty poor) i hope that you have a 80mm fan blowing air out the back!!!

there is no intake and a very small exhaust.

what i would do is
1) make sure that you go out and get some artic silver 5 thermal compund and put some on the heatsink. BUT make sure that you remove the old stuff with some rubbing alcohol and apply the new stuff as per the directions be carefull not to scratch the heatsink because this will cause air pockets and you wont get the maximum efficiancy out of the heatsink/fan

2) if not already get a 80mm fan and screw it into the back of the case blowing air out
3) clear the cae of any "mangled" wires and clear them out of the way using cable ties to allow max airflow through teh case
4) if none of these things work and your not happy with the temps if you do get it working then i would suggest buying a new case one with an intake in the front and a large exhaust out the back. if you would like i can help you pick out a case that will cool well whilst still looking good

also i have a P4 3.0Ghz runing at 3.25 Ghz and my no load temp is around 37-38 degress celcius (just in case you wanted to compare)

troppo

Edited by troppo, 12 August 2006 - 05:32 PM.