Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading user personal settings

• Please log in to reply

Rick1962

Rick1962

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I sincerely hope someone can help me, and I would be grateful.

When I turned on my computer this morning, it did not boot on the same way that it has done since I owned

it. Usually Windows XP Home Edition booted up, said "Welcome", and then it went direcly to the desktop.

This morning, instead, a screen popped up stating that I had to choose my user name, which is Ricky, and

then at the lower left-handed side of the screen it stated "Loggoff for OTONOTO, which is the name of my

computer. When I clicked on my user name of "Ricky", a brief message came on stated that it was 'loading

personal settings', and then a few moments later it stated "saving personal settings." Then, it just sat

there, doing nothing. Each time I clicked on my user name, it said the same thing, loading personal

setting, then saving personal settings. It would not load the desktop. The only way I could shut down

windows without rebooting, was to click the "LOGOFF for OTONNOTO.

I then went into safe mode. Everything works in the safe mode. I click on my user name and the desktop

loads and the computer works fine. However, because it is in the safe mode, I do not have use of the full

computer.

Can someone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it? I use a firewall and have a virus checker on at all

time. I seriously do not think it is a virus.

Thanks, a lot, I really appreciate it. I did a google search and forum search could not find the answer;

probably because I cannot word the error correctly in computerize.

Rick

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Rick1962, Welcome to gtg. give this a try

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up
until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that
has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore
From....

Rick1962

Rick1962

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
dwight,

Thank you for your response.

I already did this. In fact, I went back to seven restore points - all the way back to the middle of July. Didn't work.

Any more suggestions. God knows I don't want to reinstall Windows.

Thanks.

Rick

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Sorry Rick1962 that did not work. I'm sure one of the geeks
will know what to have you do next.
Hope you get working.

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Check this thread.

Rick1962

Rick1962

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I solved my problem. I went to MSCONFIG in hopes that I could disable startup options one by one until I found out what area was my problem. Got it on the first try. I disabled (unchecked) the system.ini box and rebooted my computer and everything works perfectly now.

Thanks.

Rick

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Rick1962-
Thanks for posting back and sharing your solution.
Johanna