Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot up problems, sometimes

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maddening...tell me, how did you come to the idea to hit a key to get things going again?

Your not getting any message at all?

In bios, is your harddrive properly recognized?

Do you have a second, old harddrive you could test in the same role (primary boot device)?

Either I am missing something, or something is not being conveyed.

If you boot to a floppy drive (assuming it works) with a boot98 disk (www.bootdisk.com) does the problem recur?

I was certain it was a damaged floppy there for a moment

Advertisements

amazed

amazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Maddening is an understatement at this point.

How I kit a key to get it going went something like this:

"...seemed like it was taking a long time to boot up, after installing xp and so I figured it was hung up and should I hit either F1 or the del key for either option, so I did and it finished the boot sequence.
Then out of frustration I pressed one of the arrow keys while trying to figure it out. (I was told once to use an arrow key when given the option to 'hit any key'). "

Not getting any message that I can read. It moves real fast just before the hang up and right after. I've watched close but haven't seen any message at all.

The settings in bios seem to be correct, it recognizes the hdd ok and also the secondary master hdd as well as the cd burner, which is the primary slave.

I've cloned my hdd to another, which also when installed in this machine has the same boot up problem.

I do not have much experience in computers, only self taught the last few years. I've built a few, they're all still running except the 500 MHz which I took apart after an upgrade a while back. I've tried to figure this thing out for a week now and that's when I found this forum, hoping to find a solution.

I booted up to a boot98 disk and it took me to the Microsoft Windows 98 Start up Display, like I think it was supposed to do and did not hang up doing that.

The floppy drive functions properly to format a floppy disk or save to or copy from. It's an Imation brand. I bought it hoping the problem was with the other floppy drive. So I was hoping by the process of elimination now it must be something else causing this problem.

It's got me stumped over here!!!

amazed

amazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Maddening is an understatement at this point.

How I hit a key to get it going went something like this:

"...seemed like it was taking a long time to boot up, after installing xp and so I figured it was hung up and should I hit either F1 or the del key for either option, so I did and it finished the boot sequence.
Then out of frustration I pressed one of the arrow keys while trying to figure it out. (I was told once to use an arrow key when given the option to 'hit any key'). "

Not getting any message that I can read. It moves real fast just before the hang up and right after. I've watched close but haven't seen any message at all.

The settings in bios seem to be correct, it recognizes the hdd ok and also the secondary master hdd as well as the cd burner, which is the primary slave.

I've cloned my hdd to another, which also when installed in this machine has the same boot up problem.

I do not have much experience in computers, only self taught the last few years. I've built a few, they're all still running except the 500 MHz which I took apart after an upgrade a while back. I've tried to figure this thing out for a week now and that's when I found this forum, hoping to find a solution.

I booted up to a boot98 disk and it took me to the Microsoft Windows 98 Start up Display, like I think it was supposed to do and did not hang up doing that.

The floppy drive functions properly to format a floppy disk or save to or copy from. It's an Imation brand. I bought it hoping the problem was with the other floppy drive. So I was hoping by the process of elimination now it must be something else causing this problem.

It's got me stumped over here!!!

View Post

amazed

amazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry about the double post. I wanted to correct something in my previous post but it didn't work as I thought it would...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wish I could see this machine in person....BIOS version?

I cannot figure out what is going on here....you should be getting some indication of a problem...did you hook your internal speaker up? Are you getting any beep codes?

amazed

amazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, I want you to know I appreciate all the time you spent helping me!!!

Finally got a reply back from Asus about my situation. They kept mentioning a possible memory problem among other things. So the first thing I did was check bios.
I went into: Bios, Advanced, Advanced Chipset Features
and at that point I changed the Memory Frequency from 'By SPD' to 'Auto'.

So far the hang up on reboot has not duplicated itself...not even once.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the reboot hang up but if not then it sure is a coincidence.

Thanks again for your help!!!