Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 conflict

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
K, so I got some IDE drives and connected it to my computer.. Partitioned and formatted and then installed 98 on it... Okay, it freezes when its searching (or something) for NON plug n play hardware stuff and then when I reboot I can only boot in safe mode. Not normal or it will freeze while loading or give me this...

I am not sure what it says EXACTLY but it says something about vnetbios.vxd

Okay, I have 512 MB of RAM while booting 98, an IDE drive (20 GB),an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo, AMD Anthlon 64 X2 4200+ (939), and BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC.

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
KB166832 - Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

KB166832 - Err Msg: Cannot Find a Device File That May Be Needed to Run...

Thing is though when I am running 98 it doesn't recognize my CD drive, and it can only boot in safe mode and it says it cannot install new hardware in safe mode. :whistling:

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
If you create a Windows 98 Bootdisk you could start the computer in Command Prompt with CD-ROM suopport and copy the contents of the Windows 98 setup CD to your hard drive. Then, when you try to remove the components you can direct Windows to the folder with the files.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

If you create a Windows 98 Bootdisk you could start the computer in Command Prompt with CD-ROM suopport and copy the contents of the Windows 98 setup CD to your hard drive. Then, when you try to remove the components you can direct Windows to the folder with the files.

Okay, I'll try that. But I've heard 98 has problems with CPUs with clock speeds higher than 2.1 GHz.. Is this true? Then I just am above it with 2.2 GHz. :whistling:

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Didn't work still. In safety mode it asked for this if I want to get online... If i can get online with 98 on safe mode I think I can prolly get some more help...

It said I needed...:

vnetbios.vxd - Found
rnaserv.dll - Found
CChat25.INF - Didn't find
pppmac.vxd - Didn't find.
rasapi16.dll - Found
rasapi32.dll - Found
rnanp.dll - Found
rnasmm.dll - Found

I need CChat25.INF and pppmax.vxd. :whistling:

Edited by Comrade General, 13 August 2006 - 12:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Comrade General...

The files you are missing are a part of Internet Explorer. Have you tried running a repair on IE?

Open Control Panel and double click "Add/Remove Programs". Select Internet Explorer from the list of applications and click "Remove". A dialog window will open...select "Repair Internet Explorer" and click "Ok". You may be asked for the installation cd for this if it needs to extract any files.

wannabe1

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Hi Comrade General...

The files you are missing are a part of Internet Explorer. Have you tried running a repair on IE?

Open Control Panel and double click "Add/Remove Programs". Select Internet Explorer from the list of applications and click "Remove". A dialog window will open...select "Repair Internet Explorer" and click "Ok". You may be asked for the installation cd for this if it needs to extract any files.

wannabe1

Hi, thats the thing, in safe mode it doesn't detect my DVD drive, nor can I boot into normal. It freezes. So I am stuck in safe mode.

So if I do that and asks me for my CD, there's no point even if I put the CD in, it won't recognize it. (But my BIOS does and so does XP on my SATA drive.)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What version of IE do you currently have installed?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

What version of IE do you currently have installed?

Whatever one that comes with Windows 98 SE.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Probably version 5 then.

Let's see if we can get you booting to Normal mode and go from there. From Safe Mode, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "General" tab. put a tick in the button next to "Selective Startup" and remove the tick next to "Load Startup Items". "Apply" the changes and reboot.

See if the machine will boot to Normal Mode. You will receive a dialog box upon restarting...just click "Ok" for the moment...we'll get rid of that later.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 August 2006 - 02:01 PM.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Probably version 5 then.

Let's see if we can get you booting to Normal mode and go from there. From Safe Mode, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "General" tab. put a tick in the button next to "Selective Startup" and remove the tick next to "Load Startup Items". "Apply" the changes and reboot.

See if the machine will boot to Normal Mode. You will receive a dialog box upon restarting...just click "Ok" for the moment...we'll get rid of that later.

Still froze. It freezes right after my keyboard's lights flash. (Like when the numlock goes on and off.)

Also, remember, I told you when installing 98 when it is trying to scan for NON plug n play hardware (I take it that'd be my cpu, etc) it freezes at 6 percent. I have a feeling my hardware has something to do with it, but whats weird is I can boot into safe mode, but it does not see my DVD drive. :|)

Edited by Comrade General, 13 August 2006 - 03:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you running onboard video or a video card? It really sounds like a video card problem...probably bad drivers.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Are you running onboard video or a video card? It really sounds like a video card problem...probably bad drivers.

A video card. Bad video card drivers...? Err, I haven't even got onto 98 so I couldn't even install the drivers. And nvidia doesn't have drivers for a 7800 on 98.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's when it stops loading Windows...right about the time the vid card drivers would load. Safe Mode works because it's using native Windows drivers. I'll have to research this a bit more to see if we can round up some compatable drivers somewhere.