Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finding a file

• Please log in to reply

nielsen2

nielsen2

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
About a year ago the motherboard on my computer was fried in an electrical storm. I took into into a computer store and they were able to save the old data drives and install them into a new computer for me. Now I have MANY drives (the hard drives are C: D; E:) I now need a file that is MIA (I must find it- it is a federal tax document :tazz: ) . I know the file name and year. I tried searching through search on the windows XP start menu but have no luck. Is there away, perhaps through DOS, that I could find the location of this file? If so - how?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If it is a recent federal tax document, they are pdf (portable document format) files.

In the "search for files and folders named" box, type

*.pdf

Make sure

Look in:

reads "local hard drives c;d;e"

nielsen2

nielsen2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried the .pdf but no luck. I think it's gone forever.