Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems With External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Airbarto1

Airbarto1

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have had some problems with my external hard drive recently.

Earlier today I made a new account on my windows operating system. I logged myself off my account (the only account I've ever had) and then logged onto the new account that I just activated. I opened up Itunes on my new account and plugged in my ipod I momentarily unplugged my external hard drive. However now my external hard drive won't show up in my computer or in windows explorer, on either the new account or the old account. To make matters worse it won't show up on my brothers laptop either. I have a large amount of files on the hard drive (music, pictures) and I in desperate need of some help. Why won't the hard drive show up anymore. When I plug it in and put it in the USB port it spins and the light shows up. So I hope that the files weren't erased, since it seems to still work, it just won't show up on a computer.

I posted on this forum earlier asking for a way to designate an external hard drive as a specific letter drive (ie it was referring to it as F:// and i wanted it to be E://) I forget how I did that.

Anyway if anyone can be of some assistance please respond. Thanks

Anthony

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Right-click on My Computer and select Manage. In the left pane, highlight Disk Management (second to last one). Maximize the window so you can see everything.

Let me know if you can see your External Hard drive or not. Do NOT do anything with it until instructed.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 August 2006 - 06:28 PM.